Supper's Ready

Okay. Here we go. Just finished a head to head comparison of Supper's Ready from the original Gabriel vinyl version on Foxtrot vs Collin's vinyl version on Seconds Out. First, both are amazing. Collin's version wins the live performance aspect obviously. Gabriel's version just has that raw, young person's angst to it. It really can't be redone. I tried to make the Collin's version compare and it just ain't there. Granted, if you never heard the Gabriel version you would think the Collin's version was the cat's pajamas. My 2 inane cents. 

ricmci

Two different but similar interpretations for sure.

SR fans should also check out Steve Hackett’s solo version in recent years and the live version included on the first Genesis box set.  Impossible to choose the best, only a favorite at any particular time perhaps.  But the original on Foxtrot is THE one.  Recent digital remasters of that worth a check as well.

The original album version for me, although the live Seconds Out version was pretty damn good.

IMO, Genesis lost more, musically speaking, when they lost Steve Hackett, than when they lost Gabriel.

Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering, are just a small drop off in musical quality from their best. But all the albums after Hackett left, were a huge drop in quality. Most are a joke, IMO.

Hackett’s first 4 solo albums are better than any Genesis album without him.

Genesis was my favorite band for a long time; I first saw them in my college gym in Rochester, NY, in 1973 on the 'Foxtrot' tour, and yeah, they did a brilliant 'Supper's Ready' - I wish there was a way for me to insert photos, because I got some good ones from that show (and later shows, and PG solo).

I remained a fan after Peter Gabriel left; after all, most of my favorite music of their's was composed by Tony Banks, and I remained a fan after Steve Hackett left - I quite liked 'Duke' and 'Abacab', and even 'Genesis', but kind of lost interest after that.... 

I'd recommend that anybody who loves stuff like 'Get 'em Out By Friday' try to find an album called '9 Parts to the Wind' by a band called Strange Days, from 1975. 6 songs, four of them epic story/songs that could have come right off of a mid-period Genesis album, musically, vocally, and lyrically. 

Thanks Larsman. I will look for that. I just love that genre. It is funny. When I was a young boy, I would tape songs such as this off the radio. It was a hand held tape recorder so I would put it just outside the speaker. I would then listen to my mix when I filled the tape. I remember I would shoot baskets in the driveway with that mono mix playing as I was only recording just 1 speaker. I knew what I liked back then when I was just 10 years old. I had no clue it was called progressive rock. I just liked what I heard. Decades later I finally figured out that it actually had a name.