What do you guys think of adding a subwoofer to this system?

I am just getting back into 2 channel music and critical listening. My system is comprised of B&W 805 Diamonds and a Hegel H390 integrated amplifier.  My audio source is primarily Tidal MQA files streamed thru a Bluesound Node 2i.  I stream digital out of the node 2i using a decent coaxial cable into the Hegel.  I use decent cables from the Hegel to the speakers.  

The rom is quite large 15x20’ with quite high sloping ceilings.  16’ over speakers and  12’ to the rear behind me.

the system (imho)sounds very good.  In fact I think it is the best system I have ever assembled.  Imagining, detail and separation is excellent . Midrange  is detailed and sharp.  Low end is tight.   I think the speakers roll off at 49 hz.

I can’t say enough positive about the Hegel H390. That is one fine piece of audio equipment and is certainly a keeper.  I gush every time I turn it on!

I have tried subwoofers in the past but have always been disappointed.  I know subs have come a long way and would be interested in your thoughts especially people who have a similar system.

I have found some discussion on this subject but thought I might ask the question directly.  I apologize in advance if I missed some relevant discussion.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob-

bobo2006

Ok here is quick update on my progress.  I have done a fair  bit of homework.  Mostly reading this and other audio forums and watching lots of YouTube videos.  Yesterday I visited my local audio shop and listened to a Rel s/510 to try and get a sense of what  I might expect adding a subwoofer or 2 to my system.  This is the subwoofer that Rel recommends pairing with my equipment.  This sub was coupled with McIntosh MA12000 amplifier and a pair of B&W 802 D4.  The audio source was Tidal streaming thru a Node 2i.  We were using the MA12000's DAC.  I listened to a couple of tracks that I know very well and have to say I was not impressed.  The mid range was ok but the upper was not good and the lower end was down right crap.  We turned the Rel on and off and I was still not impressed.  I'm not sure if it was the speakers, the amp, the DAC or the sub.  But together it was not good and very difficult to evaluate what, how or if the sub was contributing.  I do recall listening to that specific McIntosh amp previously and was not impressed.  I did follow up with the rep who auditioned the equipment and he agreed with me that it was less than good. He also said that it was possible the subwoofer was not set up properly.🤣

In any event, I am still working on this and truly appreciate the forum input.

Best,

Bob-

Hi Bob,

Subs can make a substantial difference to most any system if they are set up correctly.  The addition of a high pass filter between the sub and your mains goes a long way in helping with that set-up. Unfortunately it does not appear that your Hegel is capable of integrating a high pass filter (i.e. crossover) into your system. I would look into subs that contain a high pass filter, such as the JL Audio “e” series or the Audiokinesis Swarm.

Talk with Duke at Audiokinesis to see if the Swarm will work with your system. Duke offers some of the best customer service in the industry and imo, the Swarm may be the best value available in subwoofer systems.

Also, read this.

https://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

(Full disclosure; I do not own a Swarm system)

Yes, a pair of subs will help your system immensely. 

Not only will they fill in the lower octaves of music you are missing, that provide a lot  of visceral impact. But there is a lot of ambient information carried in very low frequencies, so imaging and soundstage will improve, too.