Making speakers sound tonally similar with an equalizer

Can two different speakers be made to sound similar by adjusting their frequency response to mirror each other with an equalizer? I'm sure it's not as simple as that but would it be possible. 

Can one, for example, reproduce a harbeth like sound by doing that?

Just curious.

jaferd

Ok, "issues" then...

Am a intrigued to try an omni (like MBL or GP) to find out if a such would enhance the listening experience (and yes that would be a little much to ask dirac).

But I’m unsure. A few listening test tells me omni’s could work rather nice for more quiet acoustic music, but not so much for music with a lot of energy. I felt the mids and highs just disappeared at higher volumes. What’s left was a bassy and warm sound but uninteresting.

They do seem to solve the problem with very closed mic’d singers you tend to get in your knees while placing the soundstage well behind the speakers instead of in front of them.

All reviews I read are so very positive - which make me a bit suspicious.

Sorry for these thoughts that have not so much to do with the op’s original question, but he or she seems to be sleeping anyway.

Maybe you know!

Similar? I would say sort of if the speakers are similar in design. Room EQ software like ARC Genesis, Dirac Live, Room Perfect, Audyssey, etc. all strive for a flat frequency response. So if you run every speaker through the same software, in theory, you should get similar output. Within reason, of course, and assuming all the speakers have a similar frequency range to start with. It's for this reason that I don't like to use eq calibration on my mains in my HT setup. The resulting flat response curve negates the speakers' natural response curve.  I'm waiting for the day when room eq software is intelligent enough to add the right filters so the speakers produce their natural response curve regardless of the room conditions, rather than a generic flat curve.

Isn't a flat response curve what a speaker designer is striving for for most accurate reproduction?  

@jaferd 

Isn't a flat response curve what a speaker designer is striving for for most accurate reproduction?  

Yeah generally they are concerned mostly with frequency response.

However there is the time domain performance. And how it performs in an impulse response.

So there are some speakers that are designed as to be time and phase correct.
There are also DSPs that make the Impulse response more correct.

@bjp9738

Maybe you've missed that the more professional dsp’s come with different house curves and you are also allowed to set your own curve for the frequency response.

You can choose not to make any adjustments above a certain freq to preserve more of the speakers original response if you prefer that. 

"Science" says most humans don’t prefer a fully flat freq curve. Flat curve is fine for recording.

Also you can build different curves for different types of music or rather recordings or whether you’re listening to music or watching movies. And on and on...

For good results of course you should use a good speaker.

Not much point in trying to make a bad speaker sound good.