Lumin vs Bricasti Volume Control

I'm interested in both brands but will be going direct to an amplifier. Can anyone comment on the built in volume controls? Is there a sound quality difference between Lumin's digital vs Bricasti's analog domain?

Thanks!

128x128jeffreyw

I placed my SimAudio 700i amp in bypass mode and used the volume control on the Bricasti M21 DAC to control the volume. The sound is good but NOT light-years better than using the preamp. My ’gut reaction’ is it might not be as clear, and the music does not seem as smooth. So, an hour later, after more listening. when going direct, I felt the music was missing something. The music was not as open or engaging when going direct to my SimAudio amplifier. The music felt more closed in.

I switched back to preamp mode and everything was sounding right. The air and engaging factor were returned. The music sounded much better. 

When going direct, the sound was flat, lifeless and without an engaging factor. The additional of the preamp brought things back to normal. I am happy I did this audition so I now know and can forget about it.

For my application, and setup, I believe the preamp is needed to help the music sound natural, clearer, and engaging. My experiment is done, and I am keeping my SimAudio 700i integrated amp. I believe that a preamp makes the music sound better.

I know that other people prefer going direct from a DAC to a power amplifier. Based on my audition, my decision is based on my equipment, my environment and how I listen to music. There is no right or wrong answer since it just depends on the individual. Everyone has a different opinion on going direct to an amp or using a preamp. The answer is it depends on the equipment and the sound you like. 

In some cases, it seems, if the DAC and amplifier are from the same company, going direct sounds might sound better. In all cases, an audition is required to make the right decision. I hope this helps. 

I have no experience with Lumin equipment.

The Bricasti’s is superb.  I have used it with several amps direct and have been pleased with the output.  The M3 is also very natural and neutral.  

I just had a Lumin T2 on trade here so that is my point of comparison.  In the end the volume control is in an app although the app was responsive, it is never going to be as easy as just picking up a remote.  I didn’t here any issues or obvious limitations but the test was limited.   It was also decidedly brighter than the Bricasti.  This is not inherently bad or good, just a fact.  

In fairness, I am a Bricasti dealer and not a Lumin dealer.  Also, my Lumin experience was limited to the T2 over about a 10 day stretch.  I have listened to the M3 a lot.  

@jeffreyw which specific Bricasti dac are you referring to? The M21 is Bricasti’s best dac and IMO the most transparent which @hgeifman may have heard what he did. Just a thought but I’ve heard the M3 several times direct and thought it superb. I own the Bricasti M1 and with that being said I too prefer a preamp in my system.

I've no experience with Bricasti, but I have a Lumin T2 (nearly 2 years now). Recently I experimented with the T2 direct to amp (no pre), and much preferred the result. No contest.

Changing the volume with the app (via either the Lumin app or the Tidal app) is a bit inconvenient, so I purchased the Lumin remote control.

Very happy with the sound quality and the convenience.