Marantz HD CD-1 Good News Bad News

THE BAD: I reconnected my HD CD-1 a couple weeks ago, as a transport, after maybe 2 years and it plays fine, but a couple days ago I noticed a scratching sound, so I took the cover off (a lot like a chinese puzzle). Directly on top, there’s a metal disc connected to the spindle over a metal plate/shield. This disc is coming into contact with the metal plate but should be ~ 1mm above the metal plate directly below it, but it scrapes on the plate. Probably deeper down it’s now off center, which would likely require a new mechanism

THE GOOD: After applying a little WD-40 under the outer edge I put it back in my system sans cover. I am very very shockingly impressed with how much better it sounds without the cover, but the scratching persists. Any ideas? Seems like it will require service

Im in Ft Lauderdale, and will call Marantz Monday

tweak1

@curiousjim

First, nice choice of icon

As to updates, well, it is sturdy, and it seems to have a tribe of happy users, so, Im confident it will last. It really has taken redbook playback to a whole new level for me. Obviously the power cord (custom from TekLine $795, which I already owned), coax cable (AudioQuest Premier XL @ $169/2m from Audio Advisor) and iso devices (Nob Sound @ ~ 25/4) will help to extract its capabilities.

My dac is in a Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5.

The review I posted is spot on (link below). I have played a wide variety of music, all revealed musical ques previously hidden to me, none more jaw dropping then listening to an oldie Chet Atkins and Mark Knoffler Neck and Neck. So much more everything to make me wonder about SACDs, though I have ~ 80, currently I use my Oppo 105 for them, but looking to get a Technics SL-G700 (see link below).

Should I update it will be on my thread

hth

@tweak1 ,

I guess the thing that has been keeping me from from trying one out is the slot drive. While it’s been a while, I did have issues with both a home and auto CD player doing bad things to my disks.

JD

From what Ive learned, is that some CDTs were misaligned at the factory and severely scratched the owners CDs. So far, Ive played some 20 CDs without issue