Making speakers sound tonally similar with an equalizer

Can two different speakers be made to sound similar by adjusting their frequency response to mirror each other with an equalizer? I'm sure it's not as simple as that but would it be possible. 

Can one, for example, reproduce a harbeth like sound by doing that?

Just curious.

jaferd

Ok, so I will also correct some speaker issues.

Maybe…

One usually needs to do any phase (and time) work in more of an echo free environment. Or close mic it.

It is not easy to do this stuff outside, and most people don’t.

^That stuff^ is what is used to make the speakers sound similar.

The stuff < 400 Hz is a somewhat different deal addressing the room.

Frequency response is only part of the picture: pattern of sound radiation e.g. bipoles/dipoles/omnis plus wide dispersion vs (? more typical) narrow dispersion, etc.

If they have the same radiation characteristics and you are using a digital equalizer then yes, you can make them sound very similar. 

Ok, "issues" then...

Am a intrigued to try an omni (like MBL or GP) to find out if a such would enhance the listening experience (and yes that would be a little much to ask dirac).

But I’m unsure. A few listening test tells me omni’s could work rather nice for more quiet acoustic music, but not so much for music with a lot of energy. I felt the mids and highs just disappeared at higher volumes. What’s left was a bassy and warm sound but uninteresting.

They do seem to solve the problem with very closed mic’d singers you tend to get in your knees while placing the soundstage well behind the speakers instead of in front of them.

All reviews I read are so very positive - which make me a bit suspicious.

Sorry for these thoughts that have not so much to do with the op’s original question, but he or she seems to be sleeping anyway.

Maybe you know!