your first system-

I put together my first system in 1977- turntable, receiver, speakers and a cassette deck- $600. An on-line inflation calculator tells me that is $2760 in 2022 dollars. I am sure a current $1500 streaming based system can be assembled that would demolish my 1977 system. That's what I call real progress!

128x128zavato

I remember that the first Monster Cable, I believe it was 12 gauge multi-strand copper, was the big deal of its time.  I think that was about 1979.  I replaced my 16 gauge lamp cord with it.  The original Tip Toes quickly followed.  That was the beginning of so much more to come, for all of us.

@unreceivedogma Do you still have any of the Dynamo stuff? Over the decades I have had ST70’s, FM3’s and various Dyna preamps come and go; I wish I would have kept an ST70’s and an FM3.

Thank God for student loans!!!! Walked into my local stereo store in Santa Barbara Ca. ..in 1976, and dropped about 1000.00 on a Yamaha cr 800 reciever, a Nakamichi 550 cassette deck and some ADS speakers....when I got every thing home, it turned out the Nakamichi was defective.....so the next dayI took it back, and upgraded to the 600 model.I already had a Phillips 202 electronic turntable.......... I wish I still had the speakers...but I blew out the tweeters after 10 years....

In 1978 I bought a pair of Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 105 monos and matching 101B preamp with an Oracle tt (the second ever produced, first after the prototype) with Dynavector Ruby cart driving a pair of KEF 105s. Cost at the time was $7000.00. That was sota at the time and I really don't think sq has come much further imo. What would 30 grand do now? Probably about the same. Could you hear the difference between a 10,000.00 dollar tt vs one ten times that cost in an ABX today? Maaaybe.