Run Roon in an iMac or dedicated Mini

I’m running Roon core on a dedicated 2011 Mac Mini and Roon bridge on a 2015 27" iMac I use for web browsing and email. Ethernet goes to an Ayre QX-5 Twenty in my primary setup, and to an ultraRendu and LPS 1.2 with Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC via Google MESH in a secondary setup. It’s been suggested I move core to the iMac. The Mini would become superfluous. Should I move core?

Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Post removed 

get a dedicated machine like a roon nucleus or otherwise dedicated server

mac mini's are well documented to have some issues running roon, esp if one uses all the functionality like dsp multiple feeds etc etc

forum member elberoth is selling some roon servers on here, they are terrific, vast cpu and memory to handle any roon application... ask me how i know ... 😁

Dbphd,

I agree with JJSS49. If your goal is to get better sound then you might want to consider going to a dedicated server.

I’ll keep an eye out for a used Nucleus at a good price. Meanwhile, core will run in the dedicated 2011 Mini. It has SSD installed. I plan to connect the Ayre QX-5 Twenty and Mini directly to Ethernet, so only the ultraRendu downstairs will use Google MESH.

Upper tier mac minis will easily run all Roon dsp, depending on processor, it may even run most if not all HQPlayer dsp.

Your mini could be upgraded into dedicated server at a price and having to diy. If your going to heavy processing, Nucleus + will be required. You could also do a bare bone or Roon approved NUC with Roon ROCK. Nucleus will be most plug and play solution.