California Audio Show 2012

It was just serendipity that we happened to be on a family visit to Northern California the same weekend as the start of the 2012 California Audio Show in
Burlingame, California. I literally had only about 90 minutes to poke around today on the opening day of the show, so take my impressions with a very large grain of salt... but I wanted to get a thread started for others who may have their own impressions to post.

Sweetest sound in my whirlwind tour of the show was in the Audio Note UK room. Amplification was some $20K+ 8 watt tube amp. Speakers were large stand mounts... didn't get the model number. Sound was extraordinarily musical... mesmerizing, really, so much so that I had to get back to that room one more time for a second listen before I had to leave. The AN rep was playing some "audiophile" discs I'd never heard before. Would've loved to have heard some familiar tunes on that setup. But wow, that system was very sweet, indeed.

YG Acoustics room.... sounded rather "hi-fi" to me, but again, I spent very little time there.

Magico rooms -- the big Magico's sounded terrific playing orchestral music. The small monitors $27K, yikes!) sounded good too, if a little tipped up in the high end.

Biggest disappointment in my brief time there was the room playing the new Gallo CL-4's. They sounded congested and muffled. I have to believe there was a set up problem of some sort... a company of Gallo's reputation wouldn't unleash anything sounding that mediocre!

Anybody else get to the show with impressions to share?
rebbi
Metralla,
Yes, as I said, I was very rushed and got mostly fleeting impressions. I'm glad the YG's sounded better to you. I'd have liked to have the time to hear that system playing some music I was more familiar with.
I heard Yg Anat two years ago at Capital Audiofest 2010 in a YG sponsored shootout demo versus Magico. Both sounded very good, very high end with your typical small ensemble female jazz vocal audio show demo tracks. Both also VERY EXPENSIVE! So my interest was mostly can I do as well or better for less. I think one can but would need more shootout time with more music variety to say for sure. of course personal preference is probably almost always the biggest determining factor to what sounds BEST, regardless of price.