Placement of Single Subwoofer Affecting Sound of Main Speakers

Due to a recent furniture arrangement in the room, the subwoofer that was sitting dormant for several years had been reluctantly reinstated in the main system. I have been experimenting with the placement of the sub in the room. Due to limited placement options, the sub can only be placed in these 3 spots ;

1. In one corner of the room, very close to the side and rear wall (1 or 2 inches from the walls)

2. Just behind the left speaker, 5 inches from the rear wall

3. In between the speakers but very close to the left speaker, not at the centre of speakers.

To cut to the chase, I’ve briefly tried all options. The 1st option with the sub placed in the corner of the room gave the worst result. Now, the interesting part. Even though the sub was turned off, the sound quality of the system degraded. It appears that the physical presence of the box in the corner of the room made the sound worse.

I am currently settled with the 2nd option and this configuration sounds much better than the 1st option irrespective of the sub powered up or down.

The sub is currently on spikes as I’m still waiting for some Nobsound springs to arrive before I can plonk the sub on these.

I’ll be trying the 3rd option again although the WAF is the worst on this one.

Has anyone here experienced a worse sound quality from the system with the placement of the sub in the room? A sub that’s switched off and not working.

ryder

Sounds like you should just get rid of it. You haven't been using it anyway, and now its causing problems.Sell it. Just my 2 cents....

How is the sub connected? If you are using a line level splitter at the preamp, it may be loading down such that you can hear the difference even with the sub off.

Even having a second set of line outs on a preamp is no indication that it might not be happy driving a sub.

Disregard this if you are using high level connections or have a dedicated subwoofer output on your preamp.

Oz

Maybe I should.. We'll see how it goes as I've just invested in some springs to enhance the sub's performance, still in transit.

How is the sub connected?

It’s connected to the amp’s preout with a pair of RCA interconnects. That’s the only method of connection that is available.