Audio Research Refernce 75se

Hey.

i just heard Ref75 she that I would like to buy.

It has some quite buzz noise when u stand really close to the amp, and if u put the ear close to it you can hear it.

the seller said it is normal.. any experience with it?

mike30

I agree w ghasly

Used to sell ARC. There should be no noise heard from that amp.

Also, if you prefer clarity, reality, correct timbres and detail, Arc is tough to beat. If you like "beautiful, smooth and sublime and "weighty" or in other words distortion added to harmonic orders, you'd be happier w something else.

It all depends on taste. Some people are bothered big time with the ARC sound and some people don't like spaghetti which is unfathomable to me.

I’m going to try my Vandersteen with 

those 3 amps, not sure about the pre amp that will be used in the test yet.

1 ARC Ref75 SE (after passing mechanically check)

2 Ayre VX-5 twenty

3 Aesthetix Mimas

I will let you know as soon as I heard and picked a winner.

until then, anyone who heard few of them and can compare would be happy to hear it here.

tyvm

I own that amp.  Agree with others; there shouldn’t be a buzz/hum.  I’ve had issues with other ARC amps, and it was miserable.  (Brand new 160S that had to get a new PCB after a few months, which took several months).  FWIW, I also ran it with Treo CTs for a few months.  To each his own, YMMV, and all that, but I did not think the REF 75 was enough for those speakers.  They sounded dramatically better — liberated — with the 160S.  Until it broke.  

@mike30 The best advice given so far was from @ghasley 

If you are dead set on that direction, you might reach out to Paragon as they likely have some ref75se’s new in box for a little more than you are looking at preowned. It would have a warranty and it is an end game amp.