Anybody have 220 volt circuit for your amp?

I’m shopping for a new amp. On most amps I have the option of 115v or 230v. The 230v is the European standard and is 50hz. Of course it gets promptly rectified so I don’t think the frequency is really a compatibility issue.

Sitting in my listening chair a couple of days ago I suddenly realized that I have a have a 230V 30 amp circuit in he wall behind the stereo that I no longer use. It was a dedicated line for the clothes dryer and I have converted to gas. It is absolutely unused.

So in the near future I plan to commandeer this circuit and create 2 dedicated circuits for my sound system. Right now I plan to put in a 230v euro style outlet for an euro amplifier and 2 115v circuits with plenty of hospital grade outlets to plug in components.

Also thinking about options for putting surge protection on this circuit. Not a priority since here in socal we don’t have electrical storms and all our distribution lines are under ground so we don’t have very many transients.

I’m pretty excited about going 230v and halving the current. Halving the current is like increasing the wire gauge.

So does anyone reading this see anything I’m missing here? Any reason not to get the 220v amp and take advantage of the available circuit?

Anybody else out there doing this (in the US).

Thanks,

Jerry

128x128carlsbad
Post removed 
Post removed 
Post removed 
Post removed 
Post removed