Best Two-Way Monitor Speakers under $700 New/Used

So, here goes. I have a good friend who needs audiophile recommendations (you guys) for two-way speaker replacement with a budget not to exceed $700 new (or used) for the pair of speakers. He will place the monitor speakers on stands - color is important. Expresso finish or black color is preferred because it matches his room furniture. With that in mind, let me know what you think. He's running a NAD integrated solid state amp (but I'm anxiously trying to convince him to purchase a tube integrated or separates). He has a Music Hall turntable and Morrow Audio interconnects and speaker cabling. I recommended Totem Mites, Dynaudio Excite 12 (used) and Paradigm. Any other ideas that come to mind? Thanks in advance for your help.
wescoman
I don't think my friend will add a sub-woofer (at least initially, but I could be wrong). I think he would prefer to purchase a pair of efficient two-way speakers equipped with dynamic bass and mid-range capabilities. I really like Totem Acoustic Sttaf speakers but that price point is beyond his budget (even when you consider used equipment).
The Triangle Comete ESs are often available and coherent from top to bottom and tube friendly, if that becomes a need.
Monitor Audio at that price should buy a very good speaker, try to get the Silver series (in Black). I ran into an original pair of Merlin TSMs for less, but doubt you could find some today for less than $1,000-1200. I am using Hyperion 585s which are in your price range, Quest for Sound an Agon dealer is clearing them out so maybe you can get more Speaker for your money. Finally I'll mention NHT, most of their speaker monitors will cost considerably less but they may not be "Audiophile approved".
Monitor...misleading term used (being used) to mean exactly what?

You "monitor" with what you've got. Speakers used by professionals in most cases will not fit into this category. Now asking to find outstanding speakers for the amount specefied is a much more intelligent question.

Kind of like, years ago, asking if the "stereo is "hi'fi.""