Impedance Matching Confusion

My stereo amplifier has two sets of binding posts for each channel. The user manual says that it can drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers if only one set of the binding posts are being used. If I were to use both sets of binding posts, it can drive speakers that are between 8 ohm to 16 ohm. My speakers are rated at 4 ohm and they support bi-wiring. My question is that if I use both sets of the binding posts on my amplifier to bi-wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers, will it cause any issue/damage? Thanks.

My amplifier’s Power Output: 200 W + 200 W (8 Ω) 400 W + 400 W (4 Ω) / The speakers are rated at 4 ohm with 90db sensitivity.

Show less

128x128dancetofusion

+1 eric_squires. In this case one is not driving two speakers in parallel, but two drivers.

On this amp, there is nothing mysterious happening - those posts are simply wired in parallel. Hence the warning not to wire 2 4-ohm speakers to both posts, as you’d end up with a 2-ohm load.

The full schematics : https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Sony-TA-N1-Service-Manual.pdf

As mentioned previously you are driving one 4ohm speaker, not two. The nominal load remains that of the pseaker (4ohm).

@dancetofusion 

Funny Sony, 

Most likely you have the EU/USA/Canada model, where the Japanese one is stating 2-16ohms. Both versions are the same, same mosfets, same transformer, same power supply, same rectifiers, minus a couple of electrolytic caps on main L&R boards (signal).

Please note that both versions drive easily SS-M9ED speakers, rated min 2ohms and 86db efficiency.

Late answer but i have seen it late.