What a pile of Schiit

Sorry, most of us just can’t resist.

So I was looking at the Schiit Asgard and wanted it with a phono card. The web site does not provide the phono option on the drop down even though the owners manual clearly states this is an option. The only way to get it is to order it separately . When you do that, not only does it cost more but it voids the return policy even though Schiit installed it! Now if I ordered the phono card separately, and did a self install, I could return it. But, here again, you are not given an option on the site of purchasing it that way. Note the other preamps have drop downs that allow the option of factory or self installation of these cards at $50 savings either way. Insane.

So I emailed Schiit and Laura dogmatically states there is nothing that can be done, that’s the way it is.

Anyone else had similar experience with this company?

Has anyone listened to this phono card option on any of their modular headphone amps?

corelli

Yes, that is strange.

I see, on their website: under Products, left hand column, under Upgrades, the Phono Card is offered for the Asgard 3. 

or-

Do this: order the stand alone Mani for $129.

Right, I know you can order it but at increased cost and the drop down does not allow the option of self installation/returnability.  Not an issue with the other amps. So just with this amp you have to pay more for the same card and give up your return option!  Seems like a web design oversight that no one wants to work around.  Brother!

Thought about the mani option but I really liked the idea of an all in one package and the fact the card option is MM only with specs to match my Ortofon cartridge.  Seemed like a perfect match on paper and wondered if it might even outperform the Mani in this case.  

Honestly, cost is not the issue-it's more the principal of the thing and a frustration. More importantly, I can find nothing in the way of a review on this phono card.  If I had some reassurance then giving up the return option probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

"Honestly, cost is not the issue"

If that's actually the case, just buy the Jotunheim 2 with phono for a better, balanced headphone amp,  or get the Mani as suggested above by @pmm , and move on.  Full 5 yr warranty, etc.

"Honestly, cost is not the issue"

I always thought it was the low cost that attracted people to this brand, no?

Forget it and buy a better one if cost is no issue. Methinks thou dost protest too much.