Looking for Advice of Speaker Cables

I’m looking for thoughts and advice regarding speaker cables. My current system consists of a Prima Luna Dialogue HP Premium integrated amp driving Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE speakers augmented by twin REL T/9i subs. I mainly listen to vinyl via a Dr. Feikert Volare turntable with a Manley Chinook phono stage. I also stream through a LUMIN T2.

Prior to owning the PL amp I had a Plinius Hiato. When I purchased that amp the Plinius distributor recommended Analysis Plus speaker cable so I purchased the Oval 9. I continued to use that speaker cable when I switched to the PL. The Oval 9 seems fine to me but I don’t know what I don’t know. I would like a longer set of cables to do some experimenting with speaker and sub placement. My thought was to move the Oval 9 to a secondary system I have and purchase a new pair of longer cables.

Sorry for the long preamble but here are my questions.

1. Should I try a different brand or just stick with Analysis Plus?

2. When thinking about cables should one think about matching with the amp or the speakers or both?

3. Do cables have a sonic signature? Does the type of music I listen to factor in to the equation?

As stated above, I really don’t know what I don’t know and have never really compared cables before. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice the many experienced audiophiles on this board may have. I don’t want to break the bank but don’t have a clue what I might need to spend to make a notable difference.

Thanks in advance.

@puppyt

Ag insider logo xs@2xpuppyt

Personally, as you are experimenting with speaker placement, I would just buy some 10 or 12 gauge Belden from Blue Jeans and see how the placement works out before investing in expensive new cables.  You might even end up liking them.  They do nice terminations BTW. 

If you did a controlled blind test you would be hard-pressed to identify one brand from another!

A rare bit of truth and honesty.

I went from Oval 9’s to Solo Crystals.  The solo crystals untangle the music in a way I haven’t heard other cables do.  I know, it sounds crazy, but they pull the instruments apart, not physically in space but theres less smearing of the instruments.  I’ve had quite a few cables, nothing this expensive, but these are awesome.  You can get used 10ft pairs for around $1200 if you are patient.

Thanks for all of the advice.  I have pretty much decided to stick with the Oval 9’s and make this a less complicated process since I have been happy with them up to this point.  I am intrigued by the Solo Crystals, however, but the cost is not appealing.  Interesting, I called Analysis Plus and explained what I was trying to do.  I asked what the next step up from Oval 9 was and he said the Solo Crystal and spoke highly of that cable. When I inquired about the various Silver series cables he quickly steered me away from them saying I probably wouldn’t like the sound as they are very bright.  His bottom line was if I’m happy with the Oval 9’s just stick with that model.  Pretty refreshing that a guy from the company was very honest about his product and didn’t try to upsell me.  I would still love to hear the Solo Crystals and compare simply because like many audio enthusiasts there is always an itch to try something new.