Core Tech USBe Perfect

Core Tech USBe Perfect

I have never been shy about criticizing or complementing products in the audio industry. I have always been a tweaker and fascinated when creative minds search out ways to improve sound quality.

However, many of these items do not perform as advertised or if they do something is the cost worth it?

As I have found sometimes these innovations (tweaks) really do improve the sound quality and are worth the money. Such items as the Townshend Platforms, various Grounding devices, High Fidelity NPS-1260, fuses and the Add-Powr Sorcer X4.

Today, I received the Core Tech USBe Perfect. Now this is a little plug in usb that goes into your Dac, CD, Streamer etc. I think its claim to fame is based on using it with an usb cable from a digital device utilizing a usb cable to the Dac. Since my Lumin X1 is a Streamer/Dac combo and I use fiber cable to connect to the Lumin there is no usb needed in my digital chain. But I am using an 8TB external hard drive where all my music is stored that does connect to my Lumin X1 via an usb cable so that is where I used the USBe Perfect.

Man, I wish I had the ability to use such eloquent sonic descriptions like the rag mags use (lifting veils, Liquidity?) Etc. Best I can say that from the first installation (cold out of the box) I did hear a more solid image. I hear more presence; bass is stronger and just about everything I like sound quality wise improved. My .50c opinion is that the music sounds stronger.

It is listed for $299 without a usb cable. Since I already own Curious usb cables I didn’t need an additional cable. Is it worth the cost? I really do think so, and your milage will not vary.

I’ve got to state again that this is worth the cost for the improvement. Feel free to send me any of your excess money…

ozzy

128x128ozzy
Post removed 

steakster,

Thank you for that info. So, if I am using an external hard drive, should I plug the USBe Perfect into the hard drive or into my Lumin X1?

Right now, I have it plugged into my Lumin.

ozzy

Post removed 

I just got the USBe Perfect and unfortunately, it doesn't pair well with the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt. :(  I had to go back to the Jitterbug FMJ to achieve my top sound.

I know Audioquest had stated that combining the Jitterbug in series with the Cobalt would hurt the sound.  They're wrong. The USBe Perfect causes the sound output to flatten and cease being holographic, on my setup.  That doesn't mean it doesn't work or isn't good.

I will save my USBe Perfect for when I upgrade to a proper standalone DAC and need to use a USB cable.

Thanks. I hope you can use it in the future. It's pretty good for the cost in my system. But you never really know in this hobby.

ozzy