Speaker shootout question -- do you position the same or differently, depending?

If you're comparing two speakers at home, do you position each the same or do you position each as (roughly) optimal for that speaker in your room?

I'm comparing a tower and a bookshelf now, and their design is different. It would seem that the best way to compare would be to figure out what is optimal for each and then compare them in (likely) different positions. 

What kind of process do you use for comparing two differently designed speakers?

128x128hilde45

For some reason the pictures are not showing again!

IMHO one should start with absolutely no room treatment, get the best sound the room can give you, and then treat those deficits, because if you start with room treatment then you will end up treating the effects of the room treatment you already have and might not be necessary.

Lets try again...

here is where i stated for decay and stored energy

This is were I ended with absolutely no room treatment. 

Thanks for posting graphs. Very interesting and great improvements!

@djones51 Nice graph! Any DSP?

Agree about starting without treatments and building up. 

Nice graph! Any DSP?

No, that's without filters. With Dirac it helped the bass smooth out.  Can't remember if  it was Floyd Toole who said below 500hz it's the room in control above it's the speaker. I try to do very little above 500hz maybe a house curve if the top end goes up. Right now with my Dutch and Dutch 8c I'm using no filters and no curve, nice smooth plot from 24hz to 20khz one small room mode at 60hz. I have two absorption panels 2'x4' in a 20' x 14' living room. I'm hoping to do some measurements this weekend again see if I want to change anything.  IMO some people overdo treatments and overthink their gear. I understand how tweaking and a lot of different components could be fun to play around with but for me simplicity is the goal.

Verify your audio system performance so that you can be assured of quality sound.

There are several key concepts for the proper design, layout, and execution of miniDSP-based audio systems. The first step is to make sure all the elements of your system are set up correctly and efficiently by performing a number of verification measurements. Please see this video:

Using Key Measurements to Verify Basic System Setup

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

@djones51 

IMO some people overdo treatments and overthink their gear.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was gifted a variety of different treatments (corner traps, bass traps, diffusers) and also bought some Real Traps. In order to see how they could affect my room, I tried them all, then started to remove them. Overdamping was my problem.

I realize now that the goal is to find the minimum needed.