Seeking advice for speakers for my Family Room

Hello experts,

I am starting out on my quest to finally get some quality speakers, mostly making do with off-brand in-walls, in-ceilings for the most part for my family room.

And wanted to get your advice on what speakers to get for my kind of use case.

USE:

So, these will be used in my Family Room where I will be using them for 60/40 movie watching/listening music.  Ocassionally, we would like to be able to pump up the volume and listen to either multi channel audio or 2 channel music for parties etc.

ROOM:

The room has a lot of hard, reflective surfaces (tile flooring, some, tile on the wall behind the TV, it also is a large room (36' wide x 18' deep with 9' ceilings). However, my main listening position/couch and media cabinet and the floor standers will be in the left 15' portion of the width of the room and at 13' away from the speakers/TV.  Pictures attached below.

EQUIPMENT:

My receiver is Denon x3700H and I have a Polk PSW-505 12" sub. Eventually, I am open to getting an external amp to use with the pre-outs of my receiver, something like this Class D amp Purifi based VTV stereo amp. But first, I wanted to get my speaker selection nailed down.

SOURCE: 

At the moment, I have tried only YT Music (at 256kbps AAC) since I already have a subscription for this. I am not an audiophile and neither is my use case for critical listening. So, while I understand there are better SQ options for streaming music, I have my reasons for sticking with YT music (lyrics, music videos etc)

SPEAKERS AUDITIONED:

I have tried the Klipsch RP-280FA with the Klipsch RP440C center channel and found them unbearably harsh/bright. Tried several modes, but couldn't even get through 2 songs without having to stop. This was at loud volumes...

Next, I tried the KEF R11's and these were MUCH better, but I still found the highs a bit bright.

Other contenders (based on what I am hearing are considered a bit more warmer speakers) I have not tried yet but would like to get some advice on before just going through the hassle of ordering, setting up, trying etc:

-Wharfedale EVO 4.4

-Sonus Faber Lumina V (would have to wait a long time to even get these)

Maybe later, I might look into room treatments, but I am thinking I will leave that for later, that can be a slippery slope/money pit, but for now, I am looking for speakers that don't sound harsh/bright at loud volumes for extended periods of time. I will probably get a matching center as well (for HT/movies) that would need to provide clear dialog. 

Thanks,

KG

ROOM PICS:

kgtunes

IMHO the biggest issue with your setup are the room acoustics.  There are a lot of hard surfaces and it is a rather large open space.

May I suggest instead of adding blinds to the two windows on either side of the TV, use floor to ceiling drapes with back out linings; close them when doing critical listening sessions.  Move your speakers out a bit wider so they're in front of the windows.  This will give you some absorption/ diffusion on the front wall and a wider soundstage for movies. The big factor is the floor.  You need a much larger rug, preferably with a thick rug pad.  Most interior designers specify a rug large enough so the front feet of sofas and chairs in the seating group to on the rug.  Bigger is better.  Perhaps move your existing rug to the other seating area group.  Next, check out GIK Acoustics or Acoustimac for acoustic panels with printed art work to replace the smallish artwork over the side sofa; this will help with first reflections.  Your wife might like the fact that she can choose new drapes, rug and artwork.

Here's a slightly more extensive issue; remove the marble slab behind the TV and possible replace with a diffusion panel from GIK Acoustics. They make some contemporary style panels that would integrate well with your decor. Luckily your main seating sofa is open to the Kitchen behind, which is to your advantage as far as room reflections.

Lastly, (sorry for the long winded response) look for speakers with soft dome tweeters, stay away from horn speakers in your environment.

I had a system layout almost exactly like yours about 2 houses ago! The house I moved into next was perfect for audio. My same audio system took a monumental leap in imaging and clarity with nothing more than a room change. Night and day. Reflective surfaces smear sound and don’t allow you to crank up the volume.

Your biggest problem is your room. And I know you probably don’t want to hear any of this...but no amount of money spent on speakers can fix it.

You have a pretty room but will not do so well with audio. Would be better if the entertainment system was against a short wall but I understand that the short walls are not ideal either as one long wall opens up to other rooms. Still there are simple things tou can do:

My advice is to start with a bigger, heavier rug. About 4 to 5 times the size of your current one. You can run the rug under your couches. Put the rug on a heavy felt rug liner. It will save the rug from dust mites and moths in a way that rubber netting slips can’t do.

Running the same floor tile up the wall is a design faux pas. Maybe take that down and replace with an acoustic wood texture (wood slats etc.).

Use curtains on the windows.

Put some art on the walls but nothing with glass. Exposed canvas paintings are great...wood carvings...textile art...you get the idea.

In a room like that, the improvements will be subtly accumulative.

An acoustic ceiling treatment/tiles might be the strongest solution. Something between your listening position and the speakers.

Before you do anything.

Try placing the speakers wider or on the outside of the windows.

PLease let us know what happens.

If your tired if bright box speakers try a Pair of Vandersteen multi enclosures.

Best,

JohnnyR

@carlsbad yes, that is exactly what I intend to do down the road....

@vinylvin I do have the Polks all the way around in my media room, I was going to try and bring those down to the Family Room and try them out..

@auxinput  Will look into Marantz and the discrete analog output

@tony1954 @ricmci @markpop1227  @audiotroy Sounds like I need to attend to the room acoustics first (rather than later).

Will do that and report back.

@singere Meanwhile I found a dealer who actually had the Sonus Faber Lumina V's on the floor, I went by to audition them and I loved them! They didn't have too much in room treatments, so I think with some room treatments (larger rugs, shades/curtains for all windows, some more art or acoustic panels on the walls) with the Lumina V's should be a whole lot better. 

@ronboco I never auditioned Focal's, just went by what I had heard/read about them being brigher (slightly?) than the SF, but man these SF's sounded so good and looked fabulous too.

@searchingforthesound Yes, that is the plan. Another vote for Marantz.

@jonwolfpell @dbensky Thanks for the suggestions/offers, never even heard of some of these speakers. I am still a newbie in this space..:-) 

@soundmd Excellent suggestion on what exactly to do for the room issues. It makes sense to put the speakers wider so that they are in front of the windows for the window treatments to absorb the sound. Will look into acoustic panels, larger rug and artwork on the side wall. The back wall is going to be an issue. Will work on the other things first and see if that makes it acceptable. 

For speakers, i guess it jives well that I loved the SF's, they have the soft dome tweeter!

@sandthemall I pretty much expected to hear it reg the room. 4-5 times larger than the current one? Wow, so the entire surface in front of the speakers should be rug?

I think I can sell that to the wife. Actually, that will help solve the problem of the couch's feet making marks on the white tile! I started looking into vcoustics: https://www.vcoustics.com/, sounds like a whole new thing to research.

Based on all the responses here, I will try and fix my room acoustics first before getting new speakers, thanks all!

For this, do I need to hire an acoustician to tell me what type of acoustic panels go where etc? Sounds like that might be overkill and i would get 80% of the return by just doing the basic things:

-Much larger rug in front of the TV/speaker area going under the couch'

-Add curtains on the windows to the sides of the TV

-Larger wall art on the left side wall

-Re-evaluate. I don't know if I can/want to do anything about the back tile wall. This was the look we wanted...

-Ceiling treatment? What kind?

-Do these wall art panels need to be a certain thickness to be effective at sound absorbtion?