DAC Shootout Starts This Weekend

Okay...in another thread I promised to do a side-by-side evaluation of the Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap vs the Rockna Wavelight. Due to the astonishing incompetence of DHL this has been delayed. At the moment, I have a plethora of DACs here and am going to do a broader comparison.

I am going to do a compare of the Rockna Wavelight, Rockna Wavedream Signature, Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap, Chord Hugo 2, Chord Hugo TT2, Bricasti M3, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Weiss 501 and the internal DAC card for an AVM A 5.2 Integrated amp as a baseline.

For sake of consistency, I am going to use that same AVM integrated amp driving Vivid Kaya 45s. I may branch out and do some listening on other speakers (Verdant Nightshade of Blackthorn and/or Wilson Benesch Vertexes) but want to use the Vivids for every compare as they are the fullest range speakers I have here. For sake of consistency I will use a Chord 2Go/2Yu connected via an Audioquest Diamond USB as a renderer. The only exception is the Hugo 2 which has a 2Go directly attached to it. I will use a Roon Nucleus+ as a server in all cases.

My plan is to use the same five songs on every DAC; In a Sentimental Mood from Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, Be Still My Beating Heart from Sting, Liberty from Anette Askvik, Duende from Bozzio Levin Stevens and Part 1 of Mozart String Quartet No 14 in G Major from the Alban Berg Quartet. The intent is to touch on different music types without going crazy.

I will take extensive notes on each listening session and write up a POV on the strengths of each unit. I am going to start this this Friday/Saturday and will be writing things up over the next month or so. If you have thoughts, comments or requests, I will be happy to try and accommodate. The one thing I am not going to do is make the list of songs longer as that has an exponential impact on this and make everything much harder. If and when other DACs come in on trade I may add to the list through time.
128x128verdantaudio

As new things come in, I will continue to update this thread.  The latest unit to roll in on trade was the Lumin T2 DAC/Streamer.  This was a customer trade and the unit was completely broken in.  I did my formal test and have listened to it for a couple  days.  

I mentioned in another thread that I was exploring Lumin as a brand partner.  This is not going to move forward.  They have a model that protects certain dealer's territories.  As I am largely web based, this will not work for me and I am not going to sign up for a brand knowing I am going to violate my agreements.  

That being said, this is a nice DAC/Streamer.  I briefly tested the Lumin software which seem stable and competent.  But I moved back to Roon for the bulk of my testing and it is flawless as a Roon endpoint.  

In A Sentimental Mood sounded wide.  There is some speaker localization which is to be expected at this level.  Top end sparkle is great.  

Be Still My Beating Heart sounded wide but not massive.  Depth of soundstage was good but not great.  Sibilance in stings voice became immediately obvious and overall, this (and Liberty) expose this to be a relatively bright DAC.  This is not a bad thing but needs to be accommodated as you build your system.

Soundstage on Liberty is very good.  Wide, again but not deep.  Some of the effects are wanting but overall detail levels are good. Definite moments where her voice comes across as sibilant. 

At the beginning of Duende, separation, particularly in Tony Levins bass solo sounded muddy but not distorted.  

String separation in the Berg piece was good, not flawless.  There was a small amount of massing.  

The list price on this unit is $4500 and I would say that as a standalone DAC, it falls a bit short of other units in this price range.  The Audiobyte and Chord are more detailed while the Rockna and Bricasti have much larger soundstages.  The thing to remember is this is not a standalone DAC.  This is a fully functioning streamer that needs no server and that makes it a bit unfair to compare it to other $4500 to $6000 units.  

I would definitely say this is a nicer unit that the Hugo2 and 2Go as a standalone DAC and streamer.  Obviously, the Hugo 2 has a strong Headphone amp and is great in other places.  

This is very fairly priced at $4500 when you consider it's functionality.  Standalone DACs without a streamer at this price and above will deliver more but when you consider its full feature set, this is a great unit.  Just make sure you integrate it into a system where the overall balance is warmer.  

On a side note, there was another thread that discussed an absence of bass with this unit.  I did not hear that at all.  Admittedly, this unit has 100's of hours on it and I can't speak about how it sounds when it comes out of the box.

Coming soon I will cover the Musical Fidelity M3s CD and soon the Canor DAC 2.10.  

From the Peanut Gallery, I’m glad I found this thread! I stream through Roon almost exclusively, and just got a Pass x250.8 to pair with my Aerial 7T’s. I am blown away by the differences I’m hearing, which is leading my wandering eyes (ears?) to look at the source next. I’m especially enjoying the discussions on personal preferences in terms of ‘accuracy’ and the sub-definitions of that. I’ve not been able to experience a variety of similar level components and ‘taste’ the various flavors, so it’s hard to know, never mind articulate, what ‘flavor’ I would like. I’ll be watching this thread with interest as my bank balance recovers from the new amp:)

Post removed 

Hi,

Thanks for the great post. Very informative. I am considering getting a M3 as well. I am 100% streaming (apple music, Amazon HD, Spotify). I am trying to figure out if I will need a network card. Even if we consider USB is much noisier than network, does it have any use for streaming only use case? Thanks