Soundstage depth how to improve? Shootout

Yes, soundstage depth behind the speakers, how can we improve this, and what equipment is most important for this?

Deeper speakers have more sound depth?

Toe-in speakers makes it worse?

Has tube quality something to do with it?

Cables not, that is a fact!

Combination/match preamp/amp?

Distance speakers from backwall have impact, that is also a fact!

Before I had a unison research sinfonia integrated(2×ecc82+2×ecc83 +4×6550) and the depth was much better, the depth behind the speakers was about 6 to 8 foot behind the speakers by estimate.

Now I have a Coincident statement line stage mk2(2×101D) with triode corporation trx-m300(2×310A+1×274B+1×300B’s) amps, and it is maybe half that??

The difference is almost 20k$.

Shoot me, I don’t know....

Speakers: living voice obx-rw2

Digi: bryston bda2 + bdp2

klappertjedundas

@klappertjedundas My entire soundstage developed with the addition of acoustic room treatments. Absorption and Diffusion worked for me

Agree that it's speaker and amp dependent, but also the recording. Having said that, room treatments should be considered, they will affect imaging.

Amp/speaker synergy, and room treatments/acoustics go a long way for sure just as other have noted.  The last piece to my puzzle was the realization that in my room the soundstage was improved when I increased the distance between my speakers by one foot.

You obviously need good quality equipment… speakers and electronics. Then you need ample room behind the speakers, appropriate rear wall (behind speakers) dampening… which is speaker dependent, and careful appropriate toe in. 

My speakers are known for their ability to disappear. After having them for a while I noticed the didn’t and the soundstage was constricted. So I did some adjustments to the toe in… voilà soundstage widened and deepened and the speakers disappeared. 

Great imaging that comes to mind… Wilson Audio, Audio Research, Audio Physics, Rowland, Merlin, I am sure there are a lot more…. Ribbon and planar speakers… but above all WORK. Positioning and room treatments.

@russ69 

Yes your right, this change of amps made the SS much wider, but also less deeper and more forward.

@sns 

thank's for explaning...the guy from who I bought the coincident and the Triode's had a very small room and the SS was very forward, I thought it was his room, but it was the amps and his room. The coincident is dht, shall a Supratek Cabernet dht be better, because this one is not 100% dht?

your knowledge is very good I see!

Roomtreatment is always a good investment...in the near future I will start with this.

still the question is it the coincident or the Triode's, the tubes? the triodes are based on a western electric 91a or b.....anyone familiar with this amps and how they do soundstage depth? 

the speakers have proven they can do extreme soundstage also in depth.

​​​​​​​keep on shooting😁