Detachable Head shell or Not?

I am in the process to up my game with some phono system tweaking.

I read in these forums of many people here with multiple arms, multiple cartridges and even multiple turntables.  I am guilty of this myself but moderately compared to so many phono hardware diehards here.

All the continued comments on Talea vs. Schroeder vs. Kuzma, Da Vinci, Tri-Planar, etc., etc, on these forums.  And the flavor of the day cartridge.  One easy way to manage the use of many cartridges, easily swapping between them, and getting down to one turntable would be to run with a tonearm that supports removable head shells or arm tubes.  And yet this does not seem to be widely done here.  Is everybody just too proud of all the pretty phono hardware to admire?

Many highly respected arms of the past, FR 64/66, Ikeda, and now Glanz, Kuzma 4-Point, the new Tru-Glider, all with removable heads.  And the Graham and Da Vinci with removable arm tubes.  These products have a huge fan base and yet there seems to be an equal number of those against any extra mechanical couplings and cable junction boxes, din connections, etc.

I can appreciate having two cartridges, one to bring out that addictive lush bloomy performance and another that shows off that clarity and detail “to die for”.  Being able to easily swap between the two, with hopefully only a quick VTF/VTA change, would be mighty nice.  If too painful a process, I can understand the need for two arms here;  like the idea of going through many LPs in an evening and not being obsessed with tweaking the arm for each.  I hope I never get obsessed to do get to that point.  But for different days/nights, to listen to different kinds of music, it could be mighty nice to swap out one cartridge for another in different head shells without the added cluster and cost of oh please, not another tonearm!.  Do a minute or two of tweaking, ONCE, for that listening session, and then enjoy.  There is always the added risk during the uninstall / install process to damage that prized cartridge.

Is running with a tonearm that has a detachable head shell all that sinful / shameful in the audiophile world ……. or not?  I’d like to hear from those who have achieved musical bliss with removable head shell arms and also from those that if asked to try such a product would likely say, “over my dead body”!

John

jafox

I'm not done yet, but I know where I'm going and should be there by this time next year. I only have to spend another 64K by my calculation minus any discounts I manage to get. First I'm going to get another motorcycle. My testosterone levels need a little stroking and I need to position my wife for the up coming Corvette ZR 1 which unknown to her I've put in a reservation. You know how it goes. "If I get the Corvette I'll sell the motorcycle." In her eyes that will be a fabulous deal, a 150 HP motorcycle for an 800 HP flat plane crank turbocharged monster. Go figure. 

@mijostyn 

If you get an older Corvette - you know the ones that handle like a tractor - you'll get substantially more testosterone buzz for less money.

But I like your negotiation technique - I always advise my audio buddies to pick the biggest ugliest speaker they can find to show the partner. Anything after that will be an easy sell.

Hoorah!!,   a Thread where Compadre's Reveal their discovery that the Audible Satisfaction, where the intentionally produced sound entering the ear and creating sensory perceptions that delights is the most satisfying place to find rest as an enthusiast.

I think I can safely say, most individuals most enjoyable and memorable encounters with replays of recorded music, was experienced on equipment they did not own, and possibly never considered owning. It has been these introductions to devices and systems that has been instrumental in creating a enthusiasm and pursuit of very similar or matching replay standards.  

A little bit similar to my other enthusiasm, like when in Photography,                    the 'Being Their', and Capturing the Image, supersedes all the previous talk about the importance of the equipment being used, the Mobile Phone Camera Functions have seemingly destroyed that very old interpretation of how to be a good photographer, as there are stunning images to be seen taken on a Mobile Phone, solely as a result of the 'Being Their' moment.

A moment with Music, either as a recorded Replay or Live Performance and a moment with an Image, either Captured by oneself, or Captured by another, are both capable of putting a broad smile on a face.

The equipment will not even be considered at such a time, it does not stimulate the sensory perception, the equipment is merely a 'means to an end' and in many many cases over rated as a result of the endless subjective scrutiny of the devices capabilities and publicly made claims from obsessional type mind sets, that usually end up in another P***ing Match. 

Oh, how that wheel keeps on turning.      

When you see and feel how precise and thoughtful the connection on most removable headshell systems is, you will not give it a second thought.

Removable headahells allow you to zero in on the perfect mass for a given cartridge as well.

I have magnesium, aluminum, boxwood and cherry wood headahells.

Each work with the mass of its respective cartridge.

And yes, as mentioned, you can clean, inspect and change cartridges much easier with a removable system.