A different world

For decades I have struggled to get digital even close to comparable to analog. Then finally a couple years ago after lots of upgrading and experimentation I succeeded, streaming is equally satisfying with analog. The full soundstage, instruments suspended in space, tonal balance, dead silent background, and details of brass cymbals  … etc. Red Book CDs through my CD player are bested by my streamer with Qobuz or Tidal hi-Rez versions.

A new world. It takes a while to get it. No longer confined to music you “own” to play over and over. Replay is supplanted by exploration. You love an new (or old album) and hit, “add to library”. It is yours. 

So, HiGi+ magazine has an article on building a European 21st Century Jazz Library. I just start with the first album an start listening (add to library), the 2nd (add to library), the third… the forth, fifth… a whole new category of incredible music to sit along side Miles Davis and Hank Moberly. Just a couple days in the life of a audiophile streamer. I could have never predicted this as a possibility ten years ago.

You love music? The goal of having an infinite audiophile library is now possible. It is possible at any high end level… just requires knowledge that it can be done… and I guess give up the idea that there is something special about your CD collection, or players. 

ghdprentice

Yeah, I'm a sucker for streaming, too. Though I do admit to nostalgically sniffing my wall of cardboard record jackets. I gotta say, though, that I do have more than a few LPs and singles that have yet to make it to the aether.

Red Book CDs through my CD player are bested by my streamer with Qobuz or Tidal hi-Rez versions.

What format is the data in that is superior to the CDs? Does your statement include SACDs? I'm also curious about your system. What player are you using? 

I'm a sucker as well. And totally agree with the comment that I/you/us could have never predicted this as a possibility ten years ago, especially when I was working at Tower Records in college. I've always been music first, equipment second, with music exploration as a priority. The amount of money I've saved from streaming is astronomical. 

@toro3

A fellow Tower alum! I've probably mentioned this about ten times on this site, but me and the wife met when we toiled for Russ Solomon (was that Tower's head honcho's name?) in Panorama City in the San Fernando Valley. Eventually we both graduated to the Classical Store on the Sunset Strip. Saw lots of celebs...while earning the proverbial peanuts. Our record collections, though, did grow, in part thanks to all the promotional pre-release albums the record companies sent to the stores. They were all First Pressings, too. I still listen to my share of 'em.