Speaker shootout question -- do you position the same or differently, depending?

If you're comparing two speakers at home, do you position each the same or do you position each as (roughly) optimal for that speaker in your room?

I'm comparing a tower and a bookshelf now, and their design is different. It would seem that the best way to compare would be to figure out what is optimal for each and then compare them in (likely) different positions. 

What kind of process do you use for comparing two differently designed speakers?

128x128hilde45

That’s not a cut and dry question ,a MBL for example is a great Omni directional ,

maggi ,marten Logan both have some rear radiating sonics 

under normal traditional speakers I have the front baffle the same distance .away from the seating area.

as others have said, it depends greatly on radiation pattern of speaker and whether boundary reinforcement of bass is desirable for proper tonal balance

that said, degrees of freedom are finite... my seating position doesn’t vary much at all and i am trying to get the speakers wide apart for best stereo imaging (but away from side and front walls), toe in (or lack thereof) is last major adjustment

some speakers with odd treble driver heights (tall or short) and shapes may benefit from some rake (rear tilt) adjustment too

The easiest and least expensive way is to walk through your room talking, where your voice sounds the most pleasing to you is a starting place. Front to back and side to side. 

It’s a worthwhile discussion because it should address level matching and IF ya cant get the inactive pair out of the room at least short the inputs. 

Good that you have REW as level matching at 1k is a joke…. 

Have fun…but also imagine a floorstander with 11 bands of EQ below 120 hz, so ya can put it where it images best..and then adjust the bass….

Auditioning speakers at home can be the most revealing and relaxing method of comparison and well worth the effort involved. 

I've found using the golden thirds location a solid place to start while using something to catch the first sidewall reflection that can be easily moved. A mobil office chair for the listening position was also helpful for me.

A speaker change is a huge deal, good luck with it.