TTW Audio (TTWeights)

soundcheck6

@stereo5 ………no, we are on the same page.  I will not be dealing with TTW now or in the near future. 

I use both their outer ring and center weight on my VPI Classic TT, both quality items for almost a  third less than similar VPI products. 

I have a theory about the clumsy exit. First I should say I am long time owner of his accessories and then his full table. I recently got new belts from him when the store reopened.

Larry owned a very successful machining company doing exacting parts for companies like Boeing and possibly even NASA. He used the machine shop to tinker and come up with all these incredible accessories and then tables. But there would be new versions of products every few months it seemed. Larry (at least in the audio side of things, I believe) is a creative designer first, and a businessman second. It was evident from the Continual parade of revisions and new products. I happen to know he lost money on certain things because he was compelled to make them, cost and business concerns be damned! Just the molds for the new belts he made will take years to break even, but Larry wanted them to be seamless.

While TTWEIGHTS was in full swing, He secured a very lucrative contract from the airline industry. My theory is that is was such a good contract, he was made a buy out offer he couldn’t refuse. So he sold the business that allowed him to persue his passion; analog audio. It must have been devastating. A choice between two polar opposites. Securing financial stability for his family and the time to be with them, but at the cost of giving up his passion. I imagine the choice and cognitive dissonance took its toll and perhaps resulted in less than an elegant retirement, and maybe some misplaced anger.

Larry was always vehement about the cheap quality parts some of the biggest names in the business were including in their products, so perhaps that led to his dismissing audiophiles and their judgement of what constitutes quality and value.

I hope I haven’t spoken out of order or hurt anyone, but this has been my theory for quite some time which I’ve never revealed. I hope it helps people have some compassion for an extremely talented inventor, who may have been the victim of his own success.

I’ve posted several places about the current TTW table with 100lb copper platter. I think it represents the best value on the market of high end tables. It's quite innovative and also a straightforward design with top quality parts as opposed to new tech, counter rotating platters, etc.

I know when I got my momentus supreme (non copper, belt drive) years ago it just smoked the already excellent table I owned and had retrofitted with some serious enhancements (even active suspension). The TTW was a revelation and it was evident he was doing something incredible with analog playback.