Marantz HD CD-1 Good News Bad News

THE BAD: I reconnected my HD CD-1 a couple weeks ago, as a transport, after maybe 2 years and it plays fine, but a couple days ago I noticed a scratching sound, so I took the cover off (a lot like a chinese puzzle). Directly on top, there’s a metal disc connected to the spindle over a metal plate/shield. This disc is coming into contact with the metal plate but should be ~ 1mm above the metal plate directly below it, but it scrapes on the plate. Probably deeper down it’s now off center, which would likely require a new mechanism

THE GOOD: After applying a little WD-40 under the outer edge I put it back in my system sans cover. I am very very shockingly impressed with how much better it sounds without the cover, but the scratching persists. Any ideas? Seems like it will require service

Im in Ft Lauderdale, and will call Marantz Monday

tweak1

Ive owned quite a few top loaders, too. The problem has nothing to do with the tray

A fellow 'file on another site,  helped me get to the heart of the problem. After several attempts to communicate via TMs, I was able to get the disc off, but didn't notice anything obvious, so thinking the problem is deeper= $$$. Will reconnect this morning to see.

Marantz told me the mechanism is discontinued, but gave me the part number in case I could find one on line

The entire mechanism needs replacing @ $150+ shipping, and I didn't want to spend that much to repair (it's available for anyone who provides a pickup slip). Anyway, I scored a great deal on a Audiolab 6000 CDT, which I won't have until late next week, but based on the reviews and owner comments, it should be a huge upgrade

All these old names are just owned by Firms that know little about audio and care less .