Nietzsche and Runaway Audio Consumption

Came across this today. A lot of posts bring up the issue of "how much is enough?" or "when is audio consumption justified" etc.

Does this Nietzsche aphorism apply to audio buying? You be the judge! 

Friedrich Nietzsche“Danger in riches. — Only he who has spirit ought to have possessions: otherwise possessions are a public danger. For the possessor who does not know how to make use of the free time which his possessions could purchase him will always continue to strive after possessions: this striving will constitute his entertainment, his strategy in his war against boredom. 

Thus in the end the moderate possessions that would suffice the man of spirit are transformed into actual riches – riches which are in fact the glittering product of spiritual dependence and poverty. They only appear quite different from what their wretched origin would lead one to expect because they are able to mask themselves with art and culture: for they are, of course, able to purchase masks. By this means they arouse envy in the poorer and the uncultivated – who at bottom are envying culture and fail to recognize the masks as masks – and gradually prepare a social revolution: for gilded vulgarity and histrionic self-inflation in a supposed ‘enjoyment of culture’ instil into the latter the idea ‘it is only a matter of money’ – whereas, while it is to some extent a matter of money, it is much more a matter of spirit.” 

Nietzsche, Friedrich. 1996. Human, All Too Human: A Book for Free Spirits. Cambridge University Press. (p. 283-4, an aphorism no. 310)

I'm pretty sure @mahgister will want to read this one! (Because they speak so artfully about avoiding the diversion that consumption poses to the quest for true aesthetic and acoustic excellence.)

128x128hilde45

Now a clue about "spirit" perception and consumerism....

The spirit for me integrate all the universe without being part of the universe...

How do i feel it ?

Listening music/sound unity, without bothering anymore with the gear, i must listen to my own body/brain/soul, how?

By hearing with the moving parts of the music the "moving" reactive parts of my body/brain/ soul through the HEART movement and the respiration cycles...

Then i could become conscious of the way music affect me and this new sensibility will introduce me through this musical meditation to the influence of the solar system action in my own body/soul/heart movement...

I will sense something that manifect to me and did not come from the music powerful moves but affect it by the diurnal cycle and even by the way the successions of days and weeks change my moods and body....

read this article and think... it will be a beginning for perceiving astronomy in your body....

What Kepler called with the pythagorean tradition the "music of the sphere" is way much than only a Platonician desincarnated metaphorical idea....It is a living experience..

And music is not the sound coming from the gear you just upgrade to, it is a a moving movement of you body/brain/heart, which could become a new organ of perception for the spirit of the universe... If not, Nietszche observation will damn those who listen to their material possessions instead of the "spirit"....

Schopenhauer describe this universal will and called it "spirit"...

https://academic.oup.com/jxb/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jxb/erab462/6417250

«My wife read astrologers and now she think his own will is no more only his »-Groucho Marx 🤓

“The knowledge of all things is possible”
― Leonardo da Vinci

Think about what this really means?

Here Leonardo dont speak about knowledge as quantitative or separate qualitative "information"... He speak about the lived perceptive feeling experience ... What i called in my post above "the music of the spheres"..

“Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

No comment here is necessary...Save for many contemporary lost minds but i lack the necessary space to explain it...

“One has no right to love or hate anything if one has not acquired a thorough knowledge of its nature. Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object, and if you know it but little you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.”
― Leonardo DaVinci

This one is deeper that what we may think at first read....

“The painter has the Universe in his mind and hands.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

The musician and the listener of music also has the universe in his body/brain/soul/heart

“An average human looks without seeing, listens without hearing, touches without feeling, eats without tasting, moves without physical awareness, inhales without awareness of odour or fragrance, and talks without thinking.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

Alas! there will be no comment possible here....A part of ourself is always this average human... Awake the other part...

“Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

This one is very important one...Where there is listening only with the ears and not with the heart, there is no music either...

“Learning is the only thing the mind never exhausts, never fears, and never regrets.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

For Leonardo love is learning and learning impossible without love....

“Why does the eye see more clearly when asleep than the imagination when awake?”
― Leonardo da Vinci

It seems the attention focus is reversed in dreams, the peripheral command the center and the center here reflect the whole and we see more clearly that in our daydream imaginations, because when "awake" the center hide the peripheral source most of the times... We are "awake" it seems but hypnotized by the foci and only sleepwalkers..

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
― Leonardo Da Vinci

The parts participate to the whole, the whole is the "aura" of the part, not the part..

“Truth at last cannot be hidden. Dissimulation is of no avail. Dissimulation is to no purpose before so great a judge. Falsehood puts on a mask. Nothing is hidden under the sun.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

How true it is in the actual worldwide crisis but :

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

this last one:

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art.
It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.
I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.
Water is the driving force of all nature.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

« The waters at the origin were separated by sound» -Anonymus Smith

« All these gibberish posts of yours are for ? Let me guess: to push acoustic control science against consumers gear upgrade... Then why not being more economical?»-Gummo Marx

«Because with spirit, unlike money when you throw it, you reap more brother»- Groucho Marx 🤓

I spent two days doing the annual maintenance on my mower and my off-road side by side. Yes, I could have done both in a day but I paced myself. Neither is difficult but they take a lot of time. I think youth with only a few dollars in my pocket is better than aged with lots of things.  But I would have never known that without growing old.

Thanks to you two for your posts...

My experience too, and part of the powerful moving experience of being young and free...

I spent two days doing the annual maintenance on my mower and my off-road side by side. Yes, I could have done both in a day but I paced myself. Neither is difficult but they take a lot of time. I think youth with only a few dollars in my pocket is better than aged with lots of things. But I would have never known that without growing old.

Wise!

When we own things, things own us.