Tube integrated amps -- new Value Leaders?

Has anyone compared either the Raven Nighthawk or the most affordable version of Primaluna, Quicksilver, or Rogue Audio integrated amps against the new value leaders from China -- Wilsenton, Cayin, Doge, Muzishare, BoyuuRange, etc.?

Especially Wilsenton and Cayin have been the rage lately thanks primarily to YouTubers like Jay (that young guy, not the slightly out of shape body builder), Thomas & Stereo, Steve Guttenberg and a few more. If you listen to these guys, you start wondering why you should pay twice as much for the Ravens and Primalunas of the world. I wonder how much of it is typical Youtube sensationalism/shilling vs. objective comparisons without ulterior motives. I have never heard any of these brands, nor do I have any affiliation with them. Just curious.

Secondly, there is another brand called Rogers that seems to fly under the radar. It’s also made in the USA, build quality looks fine, and is competitively priced with Raven, Quicksilver, etc. I would love to try one of their amps some day. But they don’t seem to get much love on these forums. I wonder why.

I would like to hear from someone who has compared the new value leaders with the established ones in the tube integrated amp segment.

128x128arafiq

@arafiq Thank you for this discussion!

I went down this path as well this past summer, and had similar questions and thoughts. I lusted for a Raven, Prima Luna, etc. but couldn’t afford them.  This led me to consider some of the “value” ones you mentioned. 

I almost went with a Wilsenton R8 but I believe they were backordered at the time, and I was also a bit concerned about support if needed. 

Then I came across the Black Ice Fusion series integrated.  After reading a couple of reviews, talking with Wally, and the dudes at Black Ice (Jerred and Mike) I ended up choosing their Fusion F22 with EL34. 

So far, very happy with it.  

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/integrated-amplifiers/black-ice-audio-fusion-f-22-integrated-amplifier-review/

Have a great weekend.

Your prime driver seems to be just getting a perceived bargain, so you can say to yourself this sounds good and it only cost me X. I don't see how you can dispel Line Magnetic just because it is 'slightly older' brand they make fantastic amps at a very reasonable price.

After you know how much power you require to drive your speakers what your budget is, therefore you need to pick from amps that fit the bill, surely it then boils one factor only and that is the sound quality that floats your boat.

Great question posted.  Inquiring minds want to know..  Cayin seems to be VERY WELL BUILT.  The Canada based audio folks on youtube (Jay, Audio Excellence Canada etc) are very high on Cayin.  I ended up with Rogers High Fidelity integrated amp and I am super thrilled with it.  It's owner, Roger Gibboni, is very customer focused and you get complimentary lifetime warranty and upgrades. There are so many of these Chinese made amps (e.g. Muzishare, Reisong, Wilsenton etc....) that seems so well built but I am concerned with support after the sale / warranty and auditioning them is a challenge.

Wilsenton, Cayin, Doge, Muzishare ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Yes you did forget ^^^^^^^^^^Line magnetic^^^^^^^^^^^ I have no issues with any of these impecable manufacturers, All are about equal. I'm a big fan of Cayin, which tend to be a bit more asking price. But I look at whats offeed, Take the DHT designs. Is there a jack for pre in,, this will determine my purchase. Also what pre tubes are employed, Another consideration.

of these Chinese made amps (e.g. Muzishare, Reisong, Wilsenton etc....) that seems so well built but I am concerned with support after the sale / warranty and auditioning them is a challenge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure I would place~~~~ Reisong or Oldchen~~~ in this illustrious group. Warrenty, as you say all units are built to last with minimal/no repairs.

Add Yaqin in this solid group of amp manufacturers, , They’ve come a longggg way and have now steped up their quality. My tech cked out the component build,, he was impressed, no complaints, It is not scaffold, thus I can not swap out caps to Mundorf. I prefer scaffold. Much easier to repair, and modify 400 hrs and is perfectly quiet, no hums, just nice music, swaped out the front tubes to Teles. These stock($30ish each) 2A3’s easily beat out RCA 2A3 NOS.

Does not have Pre-in, but does have my 2 fav pre tubes so I can use my Tele's.