DAC Question: Delta-Sigma vs R2R

I have a general question, I am looking to buy my first standalone DAC, right now I have an Azur 851N, which is a streamer/DAC. As I look I continue to see discussions on Delta-Sigma vs R2R DACs.

I am in no way an audio expert nor do I have a good understanding of electronics.

In Laymen terms, Could anybody explain what is the difference between the 2 technologies?

mod_asored

R2R dacs can use either discrete resistors or resistors located in a chip. I prefer discrete resistors.

I have learned more from this thread than my goggle search's, Thanks,

I should have provided more info, my bad, sorry..

Budget: somewhere around $1500

System:

- Cambridge Azur 851N Streamer

- Rogue perseus magnum peramp (good nos tubes)

- Rogue st-100 (also nos small tubes) amp

- Gravesen 3WC-15 speakers, the speakers are amazing and it is what has me upgrading

So I do have alot of tubes to get rid of the harshness, most of my listening is acoustics, mild rock, jazz, indie, lots of female vocals. I listen 50% Qubuz and 50% from my NAS.

I think my next big step up is a good dac and I think it is not a good time for an integrated streamer as DAC's seem to be making big strides and there is going to be a lot of changes in the streaming software coming due to DAC improvements.

So I am looking for a good standalone DAC that will last me a long time.

My biggest challenge is there are not many audio stores in my area and the ones here are very limited with DAC's. Therefore, I may need to do mfg trial periods and I think it is unfair to the manufacturers to do it as a fishing expedition so I want to be very sure with the one(s) I try out.

r2r dacs have been around for ever. The thing that makes the better today than they have ever been is the resisters are better with closer tolerances and the rest of the technology that goes into them is better. Chip dacs can be extremely cheap or extremely expensive and everything in between. The electronics that a company adds can make the same chip sound the way they want.

So all and all it’s your ears and your wallet that make your decision of what kind of dac you get.

All the best with your hunt.

JD

DACs only purpose is to convert the digital signal into an analogue form with as little distortion, noise, jitter and other nasty artifacts as possible. A few other things, but you get the idea.

R2R and Sigma Delta take quite different approaches to doing this. Quite different technologies.

R2R DACs do not do this as well as SD DACs. R2R DACs such as those by Denefrips and Holo Audi can come very close to what most robust (and recent - technology has improved in just the last couple years or so) SD DACs can easily achieve.

Now, R2R DACs do convey perhaps a slightly more lush/euphonic (whatever, get out the thesaurus) presence than SD.

The reasons to me are unclear, however one reason that I a familiar with is that R2R DACs introduce 2nd and 3rd harmonics through into the signal. Perhaps google is your friend for an explanation of harmonics.

These are known as non-linear distortions. These can be very pleasant to the ear, and tube amps produce them (harmonics) in abundance. Many here enjoy tube amps, myself included. {edit - and now I see, yourself also.  Swell}

My own opinion is that should you wish to introduce such harmonics the best place to do so is at the pre-amp or amp level.

Get the source signal as "correct" as possible with a SD DAC costing no more than a few hundred bucks, and then decide how to play with or customize the signal that the DAC spits out.

{I see Schiit has been recommended.  If that is a brand you trust, I'd suggest Schiit Modius at $200 - it is splendid and you won't be disappointed.  Jason from Schiit would agree - he has said that he can't tell the difference between DACs after a few beers, which, I may note, is because they are so good these days and is probably true even before having a few beers}