Lyra Delos or Hana ML

Has anyone compared these 2 phono cartridges?  I was set on buying the Hana but now I'm seeing reviews where the Delos is a better option (albeit a much more costly one).  I can't afford the Umami..  My arm is a REGA RB2000 on a SOTA Star table (Pass Aleph ono for the phono stage) .  The tonearm has mediium mass, I'm told.  Would prefer something on the more rich, lush side (isn't that what analog is all about?).  

russellrcncom

@thom_at_galibier_design   Great article! I have been saying for years precisely what you pointed out about incorrect or sloppy set up with Lyra cartridges, mostly to deaf ears! Get it right and you are rewarded with excellent top end extension, and at least to my ears, superb tonal balance. Get it wrong and all what the naysayers state becomes correct. 

The new angle design of the latest Lyra's requires even more precision than ever before in set up, and also in the loading spec's that one uses, but I do think it also benefits the overall SQ greatly. 

@daveyf agree ! Lambda is an improvement and when i asked Jonathan about bringing that technology to the Delos, he said not economic to do so. I am likely to get an Etna when i wear out the Delos ;-) my best to you !

Jim

For what it’s worth , I have been using my Lyra Delos for about five years now and I must say “to me” it does sound so great, the details and clarity is superb, it sounds so smooth compare to other cartridge out there that cost two to three times as much. I also read somewhere that Michael Fremer wrote a nice positive review about the Delos and he seems to like it a lot. His personal turntable has a Lyra on it.

If you can find a Benz Micro Zebra on sale, that one is super nice. Smooth, never forward sound but without missing any of the detail or the musicality. Mine was stupid expensive compared to what I should have spent, but every time I listen to it I just giggle and smile at how good it sounds. Also it's channel separation is freaking unbelievable so if you really like to zone in on soundstage details, that one is top notch.

@thom_at_galibier_design Great article! I have been saying for years precisely what you pointed out about incorrect or sloppy set up with Lyra cartridges, mostly to deaf ears! Get it right and you are rewarded with excellent top end extension, and at least to my ears, superb tonal balance. Get it wrong and all what the naysayers state becomes correct.

The new angle design of the latest Lyra’s requires even more precision than ever before in set up, and also in the loading spec’s that one uses, but I do think it also benefits the overall SQ greatly.

Thanks @daveyf.

I hope I didn’t in any way imply that Lyras are the only game in town. I love them, but can easily find satisfaction with Kuzma, Dynavector, Van den Hul, Ortofon, EMT, Benz, and such. You can see that these brands cover quite a broad range of sonic terrain, and at the end of the day, they’re all editorializing to a greater or lesser degree (nothing is perfect).

It’s pretty much like my 4 electric guitars. Each one is different, and each one is my favorite (but my Martin acoustic is forever).

... Thom @ Galibier