I'm not all in on digital systems because I'm not all in on DACs

We were lucky to have the makers of the @Arion1 speaker line join us in another conversation.  One of the points the rep made was he didn't understand what the problem was with digital among audiophiles. 

I am in many ways a digital music guy.  I have no vinyl and use Roon for all of my playback but this all stops when it leaves my Mytek DAC.  I've taken a great deal of care in selecting my integrated amplifier, and my speakers and how they are configured.  I rely heavily on OmniMic and Roon's DSP before the DAC... so why won't I just let go and go 100% digital?  Why don't I use digital crossovers after my preamp and convert my system to fully active?

The answer is in a series of experiences I've had with digital playback.  DAC's can sound wildly different.  I'm staring at two right now.  A Topping DX3 and a Mytek Brooklyn.  One sounds thin and lacking energy and bass while the other sound really good.

The same thing happened to me when I was trying to upgrade from my Theta Casanova.  I was looking for a processor that was HDMI friendly and inexpensive.  I went through a number of them which had the same problem:  Thin and gutless until I got an Oppo BluRay player which sounded better than all of them.  Sadly the Oppo DAC/headphone amp was a horrible ear drill to my ears.

So I'm not against digital signal processing or DACs, but within my budget I'm not willing to give up control over the sound of my DAC to a new crossover in the chain without listening.

What are your thoughts?

erik_squires

The more I think about it, is it that the GaN-FETs are fast enough to handle the halved digital signal whereas a traditional MOSFET or JFET can't so with the latter, a DAC is necessary whereas with the GaN-FET, it's not?

All the best,
Nonoise

It’s also worth pointing out that there’s no DAC, no digital to analog conversion, taking place inside the SU-R1000. Incoming digital signals are upsampled

Ok, now they are really splitting hairs.

1 - This applies only to incoming digital signals.

2 - The output stage IS a DAC.

I think the reviewer is talking about the ADC which upsamples all signals whether they are analog or digital. It's what I've read on every review of it so far.

All the best,
Nonoise

I think the reviewer is talking about the ADC which upsamples all signals whether they are analog or digital. It's what I've read on every review of it so far.

All the best,
Nonoise

Purists probably want to avoid ADC - DAC chain.

Erik, how familiar are you with DEQX? Also, which model of OPPO did you listen to in your system?