At a given price point, better to go late vintage or modern?

This would be for a vacation house. The main listening area in the vacation house.  I set a budget for under $2,000 for a pair of speakers and was thinking I was going to purchase either some dahlquists, Thiels or vandersteens.  What I've discovered shopping locally is that a pair of Thiel 3.6's and a golden ear Triton model 2 are essentially the same price somewhere in the mid teens.

As a reference point my main home system has ar9 speakers while the smaller home theater room has the Andrew Jones pioneer home theater set. The Andrew Jones Pioneers amaze me but then again they are a 30-year newer design. 

Is it folly for me to think that the Thielss can compete with the newer goldenears?

Thanks

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xchester_bunger

Here is link to my vintage toybox ( third system ).. There are 1ci in there, ESL63, Apogee Stage, Cornwall, Theil 2.3, …etc… 

I consider vintage (but not modern) Thiels and modern GE excessively bright and hard on my ears.

Vandersteen sometimes too laid back.

So to my ears, you are really picking among two very different schools of thought and sound quality and there shouldn't be any doubt in your mind which is right for you.

So to my ears, you are really picking among two very different schools of thought

They are both designed as time and phase correct,
They are more similar than dissimilar (IMO).

So one should be able to DSP there way to taste, or the room’s brightness may play a role.

Holmz, I agree.  Not two different schools of thought but different designer sound signatures.  That is, at least with my limited experience.  The Vandy's I have the most time with were 2's, not sure what generation.  They were definitely sort of bland, could listen to those for hours without fatigue.  Sort of had their own loudness compensation to my ears.  

My only time  with Thiels was mid 80's when two friends were deciding whether the Thiel's were up to the task against the original large Advents.  I was partial to the Advents as my later college years had stacked Advents in the house.  Still miss those...

The Thiel's were in your face when pushed.  No clear winner that night except when playing Floyd where the Advents, to my biased ear, better conveyed their concert presence.  

Tomic:

Yes sir, Shure cartridge, Grace arm, Thorens turntable, Apt Holman preamp (still my favorite), DH500 Hafler and the AR9's since the late 80's.

Thanks for the link, one solo listening chair, who's the boss?