Turntable Hum

Any help appreciated!

Low pitched hum coming from TT input ...even when TT is not running . Hum is noticeable at about 1/4 volume & really bad at 50%

Manley Monoblock Snappers

VPI Scout w Hana MC cart right next to amp on table (moved TT away from amp to floor made 0 difference)

Allnic 1202 Phonostage grounded to VPI TT (on floor below JBL speakers & main speakers right to the left Tekton Encores)

Manley Jumbo Shrimp Preamp

Klark Teknik 32 band EQ

All cables (interconnects) recently replaced - Mogami

I tried ground lifting the TT motor - no change

unplugged tv & nearby laptop - no change

unplugged all lights nearby - no change

I suppose my next troubleshooting venture is to run a ground from phonostage to everywhere & start touching things? Phonostage seems to be the culprit....

😕

Thanks everyone!

128x128tommypenngotti

I had the same problem. try moving around the RCA cables around while TT is on. Do you hear a change? Try moving TT to a different position. Something inside my wall was causing interference with my TT and cables. 

@noromance I did ground lift the TT motor & pulled everything in strips out 1 by 1 , no success

@millercarbon I'll try your suggestions, the only time the hum goes away is when the phonostage is out of the loop 🤷‍♂️

@femoore12 I did add a Marantz 2270 receiver recently but nothing inputted , just plugged in and I think I removed it to see , no change . 

@ei001h I moved TT to the floor , no change , I'll try the cable jiggling. thanks 

I had a similar problem with hum like what the OP described. Tried all the usual grounding tricks. They helped somewhat,  but just couldn't eliminate the problem completely. 

Then I was given the suggestion to change turntable power supplies. Turns out my tt came with a cheap switching wallwort power supply.  All I had to do was order another wallwort power supply, only this time went to a linear type.

Cost, 15 dollars. And voila!!! Hum totally  disappeared.  Not sure if it will work with what you have, but worth a try if your tt has a cheap switching power supply.

@millercarbon 

when I disconnect the Phonostage all humming goes away . 

unplugging TT from phonostage completely the higher buzzing is gone , but a low end hum remains....the high buzzing comes from the right side of TT 

thoughts? 

@mr_m there is no power supply , just a cable into wall for motor 

Tommy, I've going through this for a number of years.

I also Have some RF starting at  9 o'clock, it's a head scratcher.

For me dedicated lines to the fuse box and high end outlets may do the trick. 

It seems like matching the phono pre and the cart is most crucial, I'm thinking of going to the DS system with phono pre and optical cartridge to get the correct match, I've heard good things.

Your thoughts