Herron Audio VTPH-2A - Modwright PH 9.0X - Icon audio ps1 mkii

Hi Everyone, I’ve heard great things about the Herron but notice it’s discontinued on the website. I’ve reached out to Keith to inquire but my other choices are the Modwright PH9.0x and Icon PS3 MK II. Has anyone compared these. I have had great experience with Dan and his mod of my Pioneer LX500. I appreciate any insights.

Rene

128x128audiosaurusrex

@audiosaurusrex Awesome! Did you go for the PH9.0 or X? I ended up upgrading mine with Reflektor tubes, both 6N23-P and 6C45 and use a Synergistic Research fuse. All made considerable differences!

@thiefoflight I went for the X and have some Siemens E188CC/7308 side aside to try. I was thinking about the fuse. Did you get the new SR Purple?

@audiosaurusrex I used the blue then the orange. I haven’t stepped up to the purple yet because every component I own uses SR fuses of some sort, and that’s not an itch I can afford to scratch right now. I thought the blue was the best bang for the buck. I’m not even sold on the orange, which is softer and more refined in comparison, but I do own a number of them. But from black to blue was the biggest difference I’ve heard to date. 

@thiefoflight Yes I had the 1amp blue in my old phonostage and liked it alot, unfortunately the 9.0x uses the 3amp. I'm gonna wait a bit but I'll do something at some point.

Received the Modwright PH9.0X yesterday. Meticulously Packed, Rock Solid Construction and just gorgeous! Art and Engineering at it's finest. Or as Modwright puts it, Elegance, Simplicity, Truth! Installed tubes, I went right for the Siemens E188CC/7308 gold pins which I had on hand. Noticed a bit of a smell upon power up, not that new car smell 🤔   Currently have my AT-ART9XA on the table so I set the load to 100ohm no gain. Gonna switch out to the Umami Red which I haven't even tried yet. First album for me had to be "The Nightfly", then "Natty Dread". Stunning clarity and soundstage with air around the instruments. So I was wondering how this would compare with my SPL Phonos which I thought was outstanding. The 9.0X seems to have improved clarity and depth. The phonos was extremely quiet but the 9.0X is seemingly bottomless with nuances in the music I did not hear with the Phonos. Just spun 2 albums but we'll see how it improves over time. Hope the smell is nothing I need to be concerned about.