Musings of a Budget Audiophile

My system improved significantly this past year, mostly in the last few months.  The definition of a budget audiophile is very fluid, but I think my system qualifies as there are individual cables available that cost orders of magnitude more than my entire system that has a retail price of around $8,000.  My system is the following:

Bluesound Node 2

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC with upgraded Sparkos Labs op amps and a 1950s Western Electric 396A tube

Pathos Classic One MkIII Integrated Amplifier with 1960s Mullard Tubes

Focal 836v floor standing speakers

APC H15 Power Conditioner with a dedicated circuit and PS Audio outlet

Blue Jeans Cables for interconnects and speaker cables

W Audio Power Cords

I had always considered that my system sound great and was primarily limited by setup and the limitation of my listening space.  When I rolled the Mullard tubes in the Pathos amplifier my system unquestionably took the next step.  That process led me to look into a tube upgrade for the buffer output stage in my DAC where I discovered that I could upgrade the three op amps in the DAC which amazing results (I can't say that the rolling the tube made any difference).  I've always been more on the skeptic side of things when it comes to audiophile tweaks, but have dabbled with a few over the years just to satisfy my own curiosity.  I picked up a couple of inexpensive W Audio power cables on Amazon and was blown away with the different they made in my system.  I know that the power cable on my amplifier made a clear improvement, but I cannot definitively say that it made a difference with the DAC because I have never isolated that change.  I needed a longer power cable for the amplifier so moved the short one to my SACD player where my initial impression was negative so I moved it to the power conditioner where it seemed to have a positive result though nothing definitive.

While I'm still of the mindset that the key to loving a system is the speakers, I now have a deeper appreciation for the difference that clean power can make.  I don't know what I believe about power cables, but I suspect that the shielded design is the mostly likely reason that I saw a benefit in my system along with the tubes in my amplifier being sensitive to the change.  My cable management is a challenge sharing a cabinet with my home theater setup.  I've never really heard a difference in my limited experiments with speaker cables and interconnects, but maybe I would now that my system is at another level.

I'm continually surprised as I've found unexpected ways to truly elevate my system.  For now, I couldn't be more satisfied and plan to just enjoy it for a while.

Happy New Year!

mceljo

@slaw It appears that "not a lot of money" to you means spending as much on interconnects as I did my DAC.  I'm certainly open to exploring interconnects and appreciate the benefit of your experience, but it'll take a much more budget cable to convince me of the potential improvements before I jump in at that level.  The W Audio power cords cost less less than $50 which is why I gave them a try.

I do have the silver plated BJC digital audio cable from the Bluesound Node and the DAC.  I think I'd consider replacing the stereo RCA cable between the DAC and amplifier as a first step as I believe that there's a lot more potential for improvement on the analog side of things.

I have the the Orchid DAC that uses the 5670 tube also.  One of the biggest sound improvements I've made is the 5670 to 6922 adapter and some NOS 6922 tubes.  I would think the tube would work in the Maverick DAC also if there's room.

Dr Robot....o

The BJC cables are excellent value…but…you can do a lot better for not much money. Anticables, PBJ Kimber, Audioquest all make quality rca cables right at $100. Free improvement idea: get all your digital gear node, dac, hard drive, etc on the conditioner but not on the dedicated power circuit, plug the Pathos into the dedicated circuit on the wall. Use a very heavy extension cord to get the digital stuff  away from your pathos power. Finally for about $15 buy Jim Smith’s book Get Better Sound.

Congrats ! you are getting there, enjoy the music..

For grins, check out Burr Brown Op amps, i am not a fan…but..many are..

@danager I did consider trying an adapter with a Mullard tube, but Tube Depot only has a 5670 to 6922 adapter and not the other way around.  Based on the lack change from the stock GE to the WE 396A I wouldn't expect a significant change from a switch to a 6922 type.  I certainly could be wrong, but then I'd have wasted the coin for the WE 396A and I am not ready to admit that and move one :-)

@tomic601 Interesting idea for the power setup. The other available outlet supports my home theater gear, so I’m not sure how well that would work out.

I purchased the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC with the Burr Brown OPA627 op amp upgrade. The dual discrete Sparkos Labs op amps were a clear upgrade in the DAC.

I don’t think my setup would support the rigid anti cables products.

I just purchased Audioquest Chicago interconnects to play with.  I had a little Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket...