Musings of a Budget Audiophile

My system improved significantly this past year, mostly in the last few months.  The definition of a budget audiophile is very fluid, but I think my system qualifies as there are individual cables available that cost orders of magnitude more than my entire system that has a retail price of around $8,000.  My system is the following:

Bluesound Node 2

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC with upgraded Sparkos Labs op amps and a 1950s Western Electric 396A tube

Pathos Classic One MkIII Integrated Amplifier with 1960s Mullard Tubes

Focal 836v floor standing speakers

APC H15 Power Conditioner with a dedicated circuit and PS Audio outlet

Blue Jeans Cables for interconnects and speaker cables

W Audio Power Cords

I had always considered that my system sound great and was primarily limited by setup and the limitation of my listening space.  When I rolled the Mullard tubes in the Pathos amplifier my system unquestionably took the next step.  That process led me to look into a tube upgrade for the buffer output stage in my DAC where I discovered that I could upgrade the three op amps in the DAC which amazing results (I can't say that the rolling the tube made any difference).  I've always been more on the skeptic side of things when it comes to audiophile tweaks, but have dabbled with a few over the years just to satisfy my own curiosity.  I picked up a couple of inexpensive W Audio power cables on Amazon and was blown away with the different they made in my system.  I know that the power cable on my amplifier made a clear improvement, but I cannot definitively say that it made a difference with the DAC because I have never isolated that change.  I needed a longer power cable for the amplifier so moved the short one to my SACD player where my initial impression was negative so I moved it to the power conditioner where it seemed to have a positive result though nothing definitive.

While I'm still of the mindset that the key to loving a system is the speakers, I now have a deeper appreciation for the difference that clean power can make.  I don't know what I believe about power cables, but I suspect that the shielded design is the mostly likely reason that I saw a benefit in my system along with the tubes in my amplifier being sensitive to the change.  My cable management is a challenge sharing a cabinet with my home theater setup.  I've never really heard a difference in my limited experiments with speaker cables and interconnects, but maybe I would now that my system is at another level.

I'm continually surprised as I've found unexpected ways to truly elevate my system.  For now, I couldn't be more satisfied and plan to just enjoy it for a while.

Happy New Year!

mceljo

@slaw How familiar are you with Blue Jeans Cables?  What design characteristics would you expect to result in an improvement in my system?

A few years ago, I decided to take out all of my ICs and start from scratch with BJC throughout my system and listen. Then slowly made changes starting at the source  (in my case, my tt), then followed the signal. The BJC was OK but lacked openness and transparency. In each and every change, there was a increased emotional connection to the music on every aspect. 

I can't answer your question regarding design, just what I heard.

@slaw That sounds like the type of experience that's worth consideration.  Too often on this forum I see blind suggestions being given.

Questions:

(1) What components were in your system when you did this?  I interested in the specific equipment, but more so in the general level of it relative to mine.

(2) What cables did you try and find to be an improvement?  Did you try multiple different cables or was it a one-and-done situation.

#stillnotarobot

@mceljo 

First, if you benefitted as much as you say with your power cord change, it stands to reason upgrading ICs would be beneficial as well. 

At the time of my experiment I had VPI Classic 3 Sig SE, Dynavector Karat D3, K&K Trio phono preamplifier, SMc amp, Martin Logan Depth I, Usher Mini One Diamond. 

I used several phono cables, first VPI, which had a ground loop issue, Anti-Cables level 3 which sounded very nice and was an easy upgrade over the BJC. At this time I went with the Anti-Cable level 3 throughout the rest of system, systematically, one component at a time, in order to evaluate these changes. 

Listened  this way for months. Next I tried a Bob's Devices mid line cable silver over copper with Cardas RCA. This was a step up over the Anti in my system. This stayed for over a year. 

Next bought a 1 M Black Shadow with KLE Absolute Harmony RCA from fellow member Mark Tunis. It was an improvement at a lower price than Bob's. I'm actually still using that phono cable now. I'm now using more expensive cables by Noteworthy Acoustics throughout the rest of my system. 

So, this was in my analog only system. I've always done the work of evaluating for myself, products that interest me. That's the best way to learn. 

I believe you should stick to your plan. Don't worry, be happy:). 

If anything you might keep an eye out for a DAC upgrade.  Be in no hurry. 

I bet your Pathos is a great fit with the Focals. I once own the Classic One MKII. 

A beautiful piece, sonically and ascetically.