Spendors comparable to Harbeth C7ES3?

Hi all

It seems like Spendors and Harbeths share a lot of qualities, while the Spendors seem to be less expensive. Are any Spendor models comparable to C7ES3s? I really like what I've read about the Harbeths, but they aren't available in my area while Spendors are.

Any other similar speakers to consider?

Thanks

Bmdduck
bmdduck
The Majik 140's will sound MILES better than those Ninkas.
You can find them second hand at good prices if you look.
Both the Spendors and Harbeths have their charms but I'm betting you would ultimately find them lacking.
Check out the classic series on Spendor's web site. These are the same - thin walled designs as Harbeth. The A series are more conventional designs.
I own both Spendor (S3/5r2) and Harbeth (C7es3).

Generally, you will find the same great mid-range in both. Harbeth's are voiced a little more forward while Spendors are a little more laid back. I think most of the difference is in the tweeter.
Bmdduck. The sound you describe liking is the Harbeth or Spendors Meiwan noted. I personally own the C7ES3 and I love them. I listen to mostly jazz and female vocals. I'm also the biggest Talking Heads fan on the planet. They sound great too.
Thanks Meiwan and Donjr.

Is it safe to assume that the C7ES3 is more full range than the S3/5R2? The S3/5R2 seems more directly comparable to the P3ESR based on it's size and price.

As you move up the Spendor classic line to the SP3/1R2 and SP2/3R2 the price is more on par with the C7ES3. I guess the Spendors aren't necessarily a better value, but more equivalent with subtle differences the voicing.

WRT the Majik 140s: I'm really looking for standmounts, and to get away from needing 6 or 8 amp channels and aktiv cards to get the best from the speakers.
The suggestion on the Spendor classic series is a good one. I was a long time Spendor owner and have has 3/1 (still own them), 7/1, and 1/2e. I have also heard Harbeth and always preferred the Spendor's to them. Try to locate a user pair of 1/2e speakers. They are bargains at used prices.