Setting up a Mac mini as a music server, and other digital music questions

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has been covered a bazillion times before, but thought I'd ask the Audiogon community as I don't see much up-to-date info on the web. I just purchased a DAC (Ares II) and my old Macbook Air that has been serving as my music server won't run the latest Mac OS, so probably time for a replacement. I'd like to set up a computer to store my music files on SSD, and probably handle some high-res streaming down the line. I'm currently subscribed to Apple Music, and seems hard to get out of the Apple ecosystem.

What does everyone recommend to get the best sound? Mac Mini + some kind of music software/service into the DAC?

Thanks for your help!
Josh
joshindc

I had my old MacBook Pro as the source on my system, using a Halide Bridge USB-SPIDF converter to my Dac. Had ALAC files on iTunes, a few 24/96 files and Tidal playing through Audirvana. Was pretty happy with what that gave.

Had considered upgrading to a Mac Mini. That certainly would improve things, but aware there would still be limitations to this.

Have ended up changing to a Project Stream Box Ultra 2, with positive reviews, small footprint, and two USB inputs for external drives.

A stock mac mini may or may not be upgrade from any other general service computer. Only highly  modded mac mini is worthwhile as a top notch server. I'd pick a NUC over stock mac mini or any other general service computer for that matter.

I’ve been using a mini with hdmi out to my Oppo 205, then balanced out to the pre-pro. I have Roon on the mini, and it is very stable. I’m sure it’s far from the last word in source quality, but I’m clueless as to what next step I’d take. Reliable ease of use is primary, I’ve gotten used to that:)

I used USB from the Mini to the Oppo 205 then balanced to JC 1 monoblocks.  The sound was very good with minimal clutter.  Replacing the the 205 with the Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC and Ayre K-5xeMP preamp certainly improved the sound, but it did add a bit of clutter.  I decided the improved sound was worth the clutter, i.e., the DAC and another pair of XLRs.  I didn't try HDMI from the Mini to the 205.

Josh your plan is sound the only suggestion I would make is Qobuz over Tidal. Otherwise enjoy and happy streaming!