Where should the vocal image be?

1. On the same plane as the speakers.

2. About mid way between the listener and the speakers plane.

3. Right up to the listener.  

andy2

"Where should the vocal image be?

1. On the same plane as the speakers.

2. About mid way between the listener and the speakers plane.

3. Right up to the listener."

Whatever the musical material dictates. To me the in audiophilia often touted behind-the-plane-of-the-speakers presentation lacks overall immediacy, hereby loosing the ability of contrasting the source material properly. The converse scenario, albeit less frequent to my ears, is hardly desirable either; one is too stale and polite, the other too insisting and fatiguing even. Contrary to what many may expect though immediacy doesn't necessarily equate into "up front," but ideally alludes to a sense of presence - quite vital for music to come alive, as I see it. 

Height of presentation hasn't been mentioned, it seems, but here I'm not thinking of raising the acoustic center as much as the acoustic field from which it emanates. A taller speaker plane appears less restricted and thus also supports contrast of presentation. 

@phusis +Exactly what you said about immediacy and presence! This is exactly what I look for in music reproduction!

I seek vocals emanating from head/mouth attached to body at natural height. Without this one can't have believable illusion of performers in room.

Add sense of presence and human size images together, what you get is involving listen.

The music comes  relatively to the recording, for me not  between the speakers...

Most of the times in almost good jazz or classical recording, the image has depth and is nor between the speakers , nor directly in front of me, but mostly like in an INTIMATE  headphone, BUT  OUT of my head filling the room and sometimes, relative to the recording beside me and in some rare case behind  my head...

ozzy62, Please point out where I "alluded". Or is this "allusion" an illusion of your delusion?