Where should the vocal image be?

1. On the same plane as the speakers.

2. About mid way between the listener and the speakers plane.

3. Right up to the listener.  

andy2

I like the voice or the performers voice in the middle of my speakers and 2 feet in front of my speakers . I will be listening 6.5 ft distance from the Speakers.I also believe it depends on the recording and the system set up.

@ozzy62 

No No No …. The Delphic Orifice Oracle has spoken … Apparently you need to

“Think About It”

In the main it will vary with disparate speaker design, and in the recording itself as @erik_squires originally commented on, variations in room treatment may also play a influencing role.

In a same hypothetical room you are going to illicit variation using say Harbeth 30.1 compared to Magneplaners to Duevel Sirius / Mbl’s

The Stereophile test CDs also have good recordings of someone walking around the soundstage and stating his position. If your system isn't able to properly place him, something in your setup is off. Yes, more recordings than not will place vocals between or behind the line between the speakers, so that will be most commonly heard across recordings, but it shouldn't always be so. Great systems will place the vocals forward if that's what's on the recording. Cheers,

Spencer

ozzy62-

miller carbon, Comments about toe in are off base. There is no “one size fits all” recommendation regarding soundstage depth and toe in. 

ozzy62, Your digs are off base. Never said "one size fits all" and as for the other stuff my comments are directed at image depth. Because that is the subject.

Odd you go so far astray from the topic for no reason other than to bash me. Probably you do the same to others, not reading them fairly either. Who knows? I don't usually pay attention to you enough to say for sure. 

Oh wait, what's this?

soundstage depth may be enhanced by severe toe in,

So my comments are off base, but when you say the same that's just fine? Right. Got it. Thanks!