Where should the vocal image be?

1. On the same plane as the speakers.

2. About mid way between the listener and the speakers plane.

3. Right up to the listener.  

andy2

Opus 3 test disc ; depth of image. And speakers typically with steep slopes and or drivers in series and other high negative FB gear or phase shift in the chain can destroy or diminish image depth. With the possible exception of Amused to Death, i wouldn’t look to a multi track recording with a reverb tank for a 3D imaging benchmark….

Jim

+1 for Chesky Jazz Audiophile Vol 2. #47

The entire Opus series of test recordings is also a great resource.

It’s could be quite subjective as I would prefer the vocal to be at least mid way between the listener and the speaker plane. I understand this would trade off soundstage depth. This leads to another related topic as would you prefer that "they are there" or "you are there."

What you "prefer" then, if you think about it, is a system that imposes your expectations on the music. Every time you impose your desires on a recording you necessarily detract from its fidelity. Think about it.

If you want a good reference for what your system should be doing, try the XLO Test CD, specifically the walk-around tracks. This was recorded in a bare room with two microphones and consists of nothing but Roger Skoff talking and walking around the room hitting a clavis (wood block) while telling you where he is in relation to the microphones.

If your system is dialed in it will be eerily apparent the room is exactly the size it is. The size of your room won’t even matter. Not if your system is good enough. When he says, "I am standing in the middle of the room" so many feet from the microphone you will hear his voice emanating from precisely that location. Then as he walks closer and closer guess what? Like he is right in front of you. He even goes past the microphones to stand behind them. This is the acid test. It is bizarre to hear as it does indeed sound as if he is behind you. In my system anyway.

This is what I’m talking about. Anyone says where something should be, more often than not has no idea. Only using a test CD specifically recorded this way can you have any hope of knowing where things are supposed to image with any specificity. All else is guesswork.

@millercarbon 

Comments about toe in are off base. There is no “one size fits all” recommendation regarding soundstage depth and toe in. Not only is this very subjective, but there are many speaker manufacturers that say absolutely no toe in for their design. As a matter of fact, Reference 3a speakers need to fire directly into the room. Anything more than a minute amount of toe in ruins the tonal balance. And this is by design. 

So even though soundstage depth may be enhanced by severe toe in, many other parameters may suffer. This is an individual listener and speaker preference.

i was going to say the same thing regarding the speaker toe in, as some companies say not to .     Dali speakers would be one that i know of that require no toe in.