Opinions on Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 Horn 1 Please

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for owners or people who've heard the Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 Horn 1. I'm considering purchasing a pair. I'm based in the UK.

My listening tastes are a bit eclectic, but I guess rock and electronica are what I predominately listen to. Room is medium size, 14' x 26 ish

I have a few concerns:
1. They will need a sub or subs.

2. I can't find any measurements, but I think I read on these forums that the horn falls off substantially at 10/11khz & that some people are using super tweeters to compensate.

Can anyone assist please?

Best regards,

Dagda

dagda

with several 15 in woofers per side, i would hope that subs would not be needed for most applications

it is interesting there are all the center driver choices provided to the buyer, but i wish they would pick the one that is best sonically, and say that is THE speaker to buy - i feel they evade some responsibility providing all those choices if the speaker does not fully please, whatever the customer chooses

that said my concern with so many of these large bass driver open baffle models is the integration of the woofers with the tweeter/mid - it seems that neither are quite ideal to reproduce the absolutely essential midrange frequencies (that was my own finding when i had the spatials...)

That was my take on the Spatial Audio X3. The midrange wasn’t fleshed out and “real “ to my ears.

I have heard these at the Florida Expo show. They were very impressive. I was taken back by the size and soundfield these made. Please keep in mind that the initial audition of a speaker like these is very positive, but if you owned them, after about 2 weeks or so, would the glaring dynamics be their strength, or fatigue? Think about having them all the time...before you make the decision to own them.

Thank you all for the insights, I hadn't thought about the midrange. 😟

Nor had I thought that dynamics could be fatiguing after a while.

Oh dear, looks like there's more negatives than positives with this design.

There's always the Cornwall's I guess, though here in the UK, the price is £7,500 or a smidge over $10,000 US.

Would anyone buy the Cornwall's if they cost $10k?

All the best,

Dagda

there are many folks with great ears, refined tastes, that really like ob speakers, such as the spatial m and x series -- most seem to use tube amps to drive them, which certainly tends to add more flesh and body to mids/voices in comparison to most ss amps

the bass of these ob speakers are truly excellent, fast, deep, tuneful, very natural propogation pattern/bloom, it is an absolutely towering strength of this design, no doubt

but as time passed, i just could not find peace with how the mids (and especially voice, piano, acoustic guitar, woodwinds) were reproduced, and even though my big harbeths and spendors can’t do bass as well as the spatials i had (they’re very good, but not to the exceptional level of the ob’s) to my ear, the big-boy bbc monitors get the midrange really right... and that took priority for me, how i listen