First tubes in 30 years

I had tube preamps (CJ PV4, ARC SP6B, ARC SP9) in the 80's. They usually sounded great, but I had enough problems with them (tube failures, microphonics, background hiss) that eventually I switched to all solid state.  

Over the last couple years, I've really gotten into DIY and decided it would be fun to try a tube project. I've been intrigued by the idea of a 300B SET amp, so I built a set of monoblocks. I started with the basic design (and transformers) from the ANK 300B Parallel SET C-Core Monoblocks, and added a lot of upgrades. Check out my virtual system for details.

jaytor's virtual system page

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the sound. They are still in the early stages of breakin, with new WE 300Bs installed a week ago, but they are making a lot of music sound better than with any of my other amps (mostly Pass XA60.8s recently).

I'm planning to build a tube preamp as one of my next projects.

128x128jaytor

Thanks for the kind words.

Now I have to decide whether to sell my XA60.8s. These are great amps, and are a nice "reference" to have to compare my DIY projects. But they are pretty big and heavy, so a little hard to tuck in a corner, and I have way too many amps at this point (is it possible to have too many amps 😁?).

You used honest to goodness Western Electric 300Bs...  From their website, a matched pair is $1,500 dollars, and you have monos so times two...  Well, good stuff doesn't come inexpensively.  As for selling your Pass XA60.8s, don't do that; those are some very fine amplifiers.  If you're using a Pass preamp, I bet that sounds pretty astounding.  In my experience, Pass amps are "picky" when it comes to that "just right" sound.  I went through a few preamps before I picked up a Pass and boy oh boy, I wish I had done that sooner.  Nice job on your SETs.