What makes the biggest difference in sound quality?

When making changes or adding things to your system, what makes the bigger difference in sound quality on preamp‘s and power amps? Interconnects, speaker cables, power cords, or fuses?

128x128ted_denney

@bjesien 

Looms are key. Because speakers are sold in pairs, you don’t tend to find people using two different speakers. But you find people using electronics from multiple manufacturers, and cable stew. Ultimately you would want an amp and preamp from the same manufacturer, and definitely a full loom of Interconnects speaker cables digital cables power cords from the same manufacturer and loom. Back in the day when I would accompany my dealers to some of their biggest customers, to help set everything up, I was absolutely amazed by the poor performance from six-figure systems with a hodgepodge of cables purchased here and there on AudiogoN. Nothing destroys performance more, and anyone who tells you differently, does not know what they’re talking about. What I didn’t ask with this question was acoustics, which is number one.

Everything

Can't really get a more ignorant answer to the OP's question.

It's as if the word "or" is mystifying to someone using the language for decades.

I firmly believe that the right integrated  amp or amp / preamp combo is critical to get the most out of any speaker .    I've had a number of good speakers over the years but why did I tire of them?    Because my electronics were just good....  not great 

I think that's why you see so many speakers for sale .   I finally bought a kick ass preamplifier and honestly it sounded like I got new speakers.   It was profound.

I firmly believe the majority of audiophiles (or audiogoners) don’t read the content of the original post before offering their opinions.  

@nutella

I firmly believe the majority of audiophiles (or audiogoners) don’t read the content of the original post before offering their opinions.

i agree, it is amazing to me when people can evidently type, yet they cannot read...

in some ways it is a pointed commentary on many of the ills of our society in the present day - how people talk past each other, never making an effort to understand what is being asked, what is the exact question or concern being expressed