What makes the biggest difference in sound quality?

When making changes or adding things to your system, what makes the bigger difference in sound quality on preamp‘s and power amps? Interconnects, speaker cables, power cords, or fuses?

128x128ted_denney

When the room and electrical is 50% of the sound, that leave gear, speakers and cabling. Good cabling and switching from one to another for me is horizontal more than vertical. A ground up approach, is working the best for me.

Electrical
Room
Gear / vibration control
Bass / cabling / vibration control
Mains / cabling / vibration control

Everything I use I settled on 35 yeas ago, I keep listening, nothing has changed my mind yet. I doubt anything will. I’m 67 years old my hearing isn’t going to get better. So what sounded good 10 years ago is going to sound worse not because the gear is better or worse, it’s MY hearing..

I have or can make anything I need because I sure couldn’t afford what I like, and only if it is even being made any more. The only thing I use that wears is surrounds on subs and woofers and valves. Everything else will literally outlast my grandkids. Small ribbons and planars.

The power tubes last 5-6000hrs and the signal valves last over 10,000. I have BR surrounds that are in great shape that are 50 years old.

Cables are right at 5-10% of the LAST bit of influence, but because I know what my speakers like, now .5% on a cable change is more likely after 35 years.
There is no super big anything changing in my sound room other than MY ability to hear AS GOOD as I did the day before.. :-) That’s holding at this time.. Thank God.

Merry Christmas and a safe as it needs be New Year.. No need to over do it.. :-)

Regards

Oldhvymec has it correct, electrical is the foundation and  without a proper foundation you will never hear what ur system is capable of .

Electrical
Room
Gear / vibration control
Bass / cabling / vibration control
Mains / cabling / vibration control

speakers and cartridge tend to make the most difference IME, but you reach a certain level where everything matters.  

I'm finding that the "level where everything matters" is as much a curse as a blessing. The Absolute Sound is like the Absolute Truth, doesn't exist, couldn't be found if it did, so the fun lies in the process of endless tweaking.

Drivers> Crossover>DAC>Source>Amplifiers>Cables>Room Treatment>Fuses/outlets.  

EVERYTHING matters. All of it, every part of the audio chain is critical.