''Óriginal parts'', ''identity '' and ''retip'' conundrum

The ''identity enigma'' is easy to explain with ''ownership''. Not everyone is familiar with logic or philosophy but everyone owns something or other.

Ownership assume ''one to one relation'' between an person (legal

bodies included) and one object of ownership. Think of question how

you can prove to own some object. You can also think about question

how to prove to be owner of, say an part of your stolen car.

What the ''force'' of the expression ''original'' is , is an enigma.

However Americans are typical example of   people who are very

fond of ''original parts'' and willing to pay huge amount of money

for the ''precious'' (grin). By the so called ''retips'' the assumption

is also ''original'' versus ''not original parts''. This means that 

every manufacturer as well ''retiper'' uses his own styli and or

cantilevers. The fact however is that they all buy those ''parts''

by either by Namiki or Ogura. So, logicaly speaking, the origin

of those ''parts'' are either Namiki or Ogura. Is gluing an cantilever/

stylus combo in the ''joint pipe'' rocket science?

128x128nandric

after that, my admiration for Lyra grows..ever fond

Merry Christmas all and to you @jcarr  !,,,

Jim

Four things.

First, which exact parts, as in part numbers, did the manufacturer use? I'm an ignorant man, I don't know if this is an issue; but it sure is an issue with every other mechanical device I own.  I'll bet that a Koetsu isn't going to sound the same after a generic stylus is fitted with a glob of glue in place of a precision fit.

Second, some manufacturers rebuild from the ground up. That means getting a completely new cartridge for less than new cost.

Third, some parts are no longer generally available, such as boron tubes and platinum magnets.

Fourth, one can reasonably expect a high end manufacturer to choose high end parts. For example, the legend is that HP used to buy ultra-premium tubes by the gross, test, keep 3, and send 141 to the dumpster. That's why HP tubes  cost more, and everybody paid up (after trying to make their 'scopes work with run-of-the-mill stuff). It was also said that the reason Mercedes bought Chrysler was so they could order materials in bulk and high-grade the best for their own use.

So I'll be sending my cartridge back to the manufacturer, thank you. Not for psychological reasons, but to maintain their quality.

Instead of " expect a high end manufacturer to choose high end parts"

should read " expect a high end manufacturer to choose highly selected parts"

JCarr mentioned Mori san as ''neglected innovator'' who got, despite

of this ''neglect'' much attention from our Aussie who collect not only

cartridges of both kinds but also Patek Philip watches. He wrote an

''poem''  about XL 88D (D= diamond). What is less known is Raul's

''poem'' about XL-44 l. So, it seems, Mori made ''rich man'' but also

''poor man'' cartridges.  The innovation involved was ''8 form''  coil

former and ''potting''. That is using some  damping ''stuff'' inside

the cart body to ''kill the resonaces''.. My friend and retiper  Axel

Schurholz described the ''stuff'' as ''glue'', Later on I found similar

method of damping by Magic Diamond made by Reto Andreoli .

The whole XL Sony series used the same generator but different

cantilevers and styli. The cheapest kind by XL 44. So I posted my

sample ( $350) to Axel and asked his best cantilever/stylus combo.

Aka boron cantilever and ''nude shibata''. Well this ''poor man cart''

can compete with all my ''exotic kinds''. I also need to mention ''lyrical

description'' by Raul about ''old and forgotten ADC 26/27''.  I bought

two for 300 euro. In my last sentence  in my previous contribution

I stated ''there are plenty excellent cartridges for modest prices''.

Those are two examples.

The supplied information by @jcarr about the Cartridge having been rebuilt to a condition that had shown to be Poor and there was non original parts in place is quite important, as there is a shift in the market to buying used Cartridges becoming more common, especially for the Higher Priced Items.

For some using the used market,  it is the most cost effective entrance into the creating the opportunity to acquire the Cartridges that have the Higher Price Tags. For another, it can quite simply mean a rare model has appeared and is the desired to own list. I have seen the latter happen very recently with a Ortofon Vienna, that surfaced in the used Market

In either case, it really is a case for the Buyer to do their home work and research, to ensure they are not buying into a known Model that has undergone 'cut and shut' standards of remediation on a faulty model, Caveat Emptor is the most valuable guidance, a very helpful vendor who supplies accurate information to inquiries, is a bonus. 

How the above weaves itself into the description of an occurrence that @jcarr was  exposed to is unknown, but which ever way, a party with no involvement was incorrectly labelled with the blame and this again, is unjust.   

I have no issue with not using non OEM parts in a Cartridge, as long as the design is seen to be for the better, and the decision is taken as a result of advise offered by a technician.

Secondly, at no time would this information be concealed, it would be described correctly, Third Party Service Provider and Methods chosen, this would be revealed, whether during a demonstration or if the decision was made to sell.

The Cartridge rebuild service I have used, will not work with a Cartridge that is showing evidence of not being an original spec model. The explained stance,  is that the necessary investigation of whether the Cartridge can be repaired to a improved condition, and undoing any work that has been carried out, is a cost the service are not going to pass onto a Customer.