Setting up a Mac mini as a music server, and other digital music questions

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has been covered a bazillion times before, but thought I'd ask the Audiogon community as I don't see much up-to-date info on the web. I just purchased a DAC (Ares II) and my old Macbook Air that has been serving as my music server won't run the latest Mac OS, so probably time for a replacement. I'd like to set up a computer to store my music files on SSD, and probably handle some high-res streaming down the line. I'm currently subscribed to Apple Music, and seems hard to get out of the Apple ecosystem.

What does everyone recommend to get the best sound? Mac Mini + some kind of music software/service into the DAC?

Thanks for your help!
Josh
joshindc
Joshindc,

There is a problem in the system you posted above as your plan.
It shows two DACs sequentially in your signal path:  The Bluesound Node 2i feeding the Ares DAC is redundant and inoperable.  You don't need the Bluesound if you have the properly configured Mac-Mini and your Ares.

Sandstone

I think using a Mac Mini is fine, especially if only using for music playback, get one of these 

between Mini and dac and you be fine, later you could always update to something else if need be.

@hortense   the component that makes the biggest difference to a digital signal is jitter which when taken away to appreciable levels makes you do a double take. I would advise you to look at all digital insertions to see how you can make each of these display as little as possible.  

I recently removed an ultraRendu and LPS 1.2 and now go USB direct from a Mini to an asynchronous Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC then balanced analog through an Ayre KX-5xeMP preamp to a pair of Parasound JC 1 monoblocks driving KEF LS50s. I think the sound is excellent with less clutter.

I had my old MacBook Pro as the source on my system, using a Halide Bridge USB-SPIDF converter to my Dac. Had ALAC files on iTunes, a few 24/96 files and Tidal playing through Audirvana. Was pretty happy with what that gave.

Had considered upgrading to a Mac Mini. That certainly would improve things, but aware there would still be limitations to this.

Have ended up changing to a Project Stream Box Ultra 2, with positive reviews, small footprint, and two USB inputs for external drives.