Micro Seiki DD 40 Dual Tonearm installation

Does anyone know how to set up the second tonearm on a Micro Seiki DD 40/7 Turntable?  Thanks

horsestuff

@elliottbnewcombjr 

I think you've spent a lot of effort to accommodate the 3rd arm on your table since it is not design for that.

imhififan

People, OP, you and many others I presume, must love that TT, I don’t know anything about it.

I’m not going without a dust cover, and it has to look good, a custom one hanging off the edge of it just doesn’t appeal to me. I see these fantastically expensive TT’s with no dust cover, I just shake my head.

My 3rd arm came about without advance planning. It serves it’s important purpose, Mono cartridge ready to play instantly, but it is squeezed in there and looks it. Not regrettable, but not ’right’.

I learned here the benefit of playing Mono LPs with a true Mono Cartridge. Makes a small to very large and important difference. I’m very glad I took that advice, I mix Stereo and Mono on the fly during listening sessions, especially Jazz.

Install of 3rd arm was easy, hole for din cable; small diameter surface mounted base. Researching what would fit, both close to very wide platter rim, and short rear counterweight portion and height under the dust cover when on was tricky. Happily seller had experience and gave me precise answers. (1/8" clearances in 3 places)

Like I said before, extra caution is needed placing/removing LP’s. It is locked down with a twistie because, even though I am left-handed, I knocked it across two new LP’s soon after I installed it (arm doesn’t lock firmly to it’s rest). A different arm with more secure locking rest would be better anywhere, especially on the left.

Much later I found out JVC made a very rare CL-P3 Plinth with 3 removable armboards. You would like that, so would I, had I known. That moves the left arm a natural looking and functioning distance away. I recently found one in Hong Kong, had a deal, seller hesitated getting shipping prices (slow and expensive due to covid restrictions), I changed my mind. 2" wider, see my setup, would just barely fit, needed refinishing which I could do, lot of work, then sell my existing, .... I decided to live with what I ’so cleverly’ did.

Why 3rd arm? I was all set with right long stereo arm (12.5" effective Blackbird, fixed cartridge, from Russia), and rear mono arm (Acos Lustre GST-801, removable headshell, unique magnetics, and VTA on the Fly). Awesome, DONE!

However, I realized I was putting unnecessary wear on my non-replaceable MC while playing some LPs (keepers, but not too special SQ/Imaging). And playing some to sell. Soooo, move Mono to 3rd arm, put MM on rear arm, how smart am I?

I was thinking long, Reach, not Time.

My TT came about because I wanted a long Tonearm. It was the 1st thing I asked advice about here,

That led to recommended JCV Victor 7082 arm with both removable headshell and VTA on the Fly. Also taught here, most need the black rubber gasket replaced, I messed with one, fixed it with plumbing grommet from Home Depot, but the deck had problems had to return it. That arm is only 9-7/8" effective anyway.

I found my 12.5" effective arm in Russia, stalled, couldn’t get it out of my mind, took the risk. Bought a Square Trade warranty, luckily it paid for a needed re-wire due to design defect they have since solved. Have a look at the TT photos, that very long tonearm just barely fits inside the dust cover also, side/rear/height (again, seller gave me precise answers).

Every time I play my LP’s I am thankful for all I learned and the help I was given here, I never imagined what I ended up with.

OP,

Apologies for yapping about my choices.

I see photos of 2nd arms on the left side of that TT. IF you are going to have a custom dust cover, and if you have room for ’deeper’, you might think about mounting the 2nd arm on the rear. That gives you the option for a long arm back there, and keeps the arm out of the loading zone.

Deeper is not a simple decision. If you look at my photos, for my deep plinth, I had to order a deeper glass shelf and sit it on top of ’normal depth’ glass shelves, Happily, the Spinner’s weight is forward, so no separate support was needed below the rear overhang which I might have needed.

I believe dust covers should be up or off while playing. I prefer off, no hinges, looks better on and not sticking up during listening sessions which are often several hours. JVC large dust covers are 1/4" thick, heavy, and have two cutouts on the sides to lift off. Positioning pins remain on the deck, they are quite helpful. I put felt buttons on one end of my dust cover, and have a designated place to lean it out of sight. Didn’t think that thru, it just worked out.