Ayre VX-5 Twenty vs. Pass X 250.8

Hello. I´m in the market for either the above mentionned Ayre or the Pass stereo power amp. Does anyone ever compared both power amps (or their bigger siblings VX-R Twenty and X 350.8) ?

As a front end I use the brand new Ayon CD-35 Signature version acting as a CD/SACD/DAC/Tube Pre-amp. I as well have a Merging NADAC directly connected to my Asus Laptop. Speakers are TAD CE 1. All cabelling is upper line Siltech (Double Crown) or Nordost (Valhalla 2).

Thx for any usefull input from your side.

Frank
berlin1967

Holy thread resurrection, Batman, but I’m in the same position. Looking for input on comparisons between these 2 amps.

hybrid system H/T and 2 channel for now, with a future likelihood of having a separate listening room. Right now the ‘pre’ is my Emotiva processor, which sounds a lot better than the Marantz it replaces. Aerial 7T’s for mains. Currently using Odyssey Stratos, which has served me well, but the bug has bitten, so I’m investigating options. A tube pre is a likely future option when I have a dedicated room. I’ve heard a couple and loved the way they drew me in to the music.

You did reach way back…. I had and greatly enjoyed an Ayre VX5/20 for three years.  You will need to feed it by balanced XLR cables from the pre for the design to be able to preform at its peak per Ayre and i agree based on experimentation.  I used a VAC Renaissance 5 pre with the Ayre.  

I had a VX-R Twenty for 4 years before upgrading to Vandersteen M7 amplifiers. The VXR is a fantastic amplifier and as stated will deliver with balanced inputs. I used an ARC REF5se with excellent results.

jim