New Amp Choice (A or B)

So I'm considering a new amp to go between my Benchmark HPA4 preamp and Montana XP speakers. My 2 choices are The Benchmark AHB2 amp, or the PS Audio M700 mono amps. My speakers are 92 db/W at 4 Ohms, but I was wondering if the Benchmark was enough power, or if the M700' were a better fit with my 7 driver speakers. Normal listening... never killer loud. My current amp is just an old Adcom filling in.

koestner

I'm somewhat familiar with your speakers, I own a pair of the Montana EPX speakers. While I don't doubt that the Benchmark AHB2 amp will do a nice job with your Montana speakers I would opt out for the M700 monoblocks if they are within your budget. I believe you would not have any regrets or wonder how much better would the other amp sound.

Do your speakers go into 2 Ohms territory a lot? If not, then a single AHB2 would work incredible with the HPA4. You could always add a second AHB2 to run as monos. I do that but my current speakers, KEF LS50, they do not require monos (overkill).

I like the AHB2 over all other amps I have had with the HPA4. I also like the AHB2 over way more costly amps. I just love the sound of the AHB2. Here is a list of amps I remember trying with the HPA4:

- CODA #8

- D-Sonic M3a 800s (Class D)

- LSA Voyager 350 GAN (Class D)

I think you can do a 30-day home trial with both amps you are considering.

My speakers have a minimum impedance of about 3.0 Ohms near 85 Hz and 2,000 Hz. I am only interested in a single AHB2 right now. I prefer a very detailed sound verses ultra smooth sound. That's why I love the HPA4 preamp. I kind of think the Benchmark amp would give me the detail, but will it have enough power vs. the M700's?

I had the M700s and while quite nice, BUT, the LSA Voyager GaN 350 amp is in an entirely different league, and on sale for a few more days! $24-2700

There are a couple threads on them in Agon